1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing Binders & Going Through Security

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Mar 7, 2016.

1. H20

H20

So basically I will hopefully be getting my first binder soon if things all go as plan, but I came across a few articles that say binders and packers set off security devices. I know with a body scanner it sees them as an anomaly which then leaves people open for patdowns sometimes, but I can't find a clear answer when it comes to metal detectors. Do binders set them off?

Just so you know, the reason why I'm asking is not for traveling purposes, but where I live people are tight on security issues in certain public places like hospitals and even my own school so they have metal detectors. Which is why this bothers me because if this is the case, I don't think I'd be allowed to wear a binder to school because I'd be setting it off every time and I'm not sure how I could get around that unless I transfer to a different school that doesn't have this type of security.

On other note, when it does come to traveling (airports and TSA security) what would happen if I wore a binder and/or packer while going through security? And is it really safe to wear a binder on a plane because I read somewhere that the pressure can compress your binder and make it hard to breathe or something.

2. thepandaboss

You won't ding a metal detector with a binder and packer unless, for some reason, you're wearing a metal dick. Binders and packers aren't made of metal so you have nothing to worry about...

As for me, never had problems binding on a plane. It really doesn't compress your binder that much. I've gotten dinged wearing a packer going through security but only because I got misgendered by security and misidentified as female. I just got a quick pat down and that was it.

3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg metal dick that made my day

4. AaronV

Yeah I've traveled a lot and my binder was never a problem. I went through metal detectors and, well, your binder hopefully won't be made out of metal, unless you're going for that knight in shining armor look. :wink: Like I went through the security at St Peter's basilica, which is pretty high security and it wasn't a problem.

I got pulled out of line for a pat down at an airport, but only because my shoes set of the detector, I went to the the female guard because I wasn't on T yet and I passed and she thought I was a creep, that was a bit awkward, but I've never been asked about my binder directly. In that case you could just tell them it's for backpain or something similar, if you don't feel up for a heartfelt coming out at an airport. ^^

About the pressure on airplanes, I've never had any problems. I've been on various flights up to three hours and it was always fine. If you do worry about that though you could always bring something to change with you in your hand luggage and change in the toilets.

#4 AaronV, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should be fine, so I wouldn't worry too much.