1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-binary Clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wwps123, Mar 7, 2016.

1. wwps123

I'm a non-binary kid, 13 years old, and I have no idea what to wear. There is NO non-binary kids clothing and I would really love if anyone had any stores or resources or anything. Thanks!(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Non-binary clothing is what you make of it. I mean, clothing isn't gendered anyway. You get stereotypically feminine and masculine styled clothing but wearing 'feminine clothing' doesn't mean that youre female. Just like wearing 'non-binary clothing' doesn't mean that youre non-binary.

Also non-binary is such a broad term. I assume you're looking for neutral, androgynous clothing. I'd stick with plain clothes, darker colours if you want to look androgynous but everyone's got their own style. The important thing is to wear clothes that you feel comfortable in and can be yourself in.

#2 Aberrance, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aberrance pretty much got it down pat. Clothing is just fabric, and the only gender association with it is that which society forces.

Personally, I wear whatever I feel like, which is mostly some sort of t-shirt and sweatpants or jeans. With the t-shirts, I tend to buy t-shirts that are sorted as "male" or "unisex" and get them in a larger size, so it fits loosely on me, which is both comfortable to me and gives me a more gender neutral presence. Being 18, I do buy from the adult sections, but if you get a shirt that's a size larger in kids clothing (or perhaps a small in adult), then I think you should get the same effect!

You might want to buy a shirt that's only sold as "women's" or "girls", I don't know your precise preference. In that case, the thing to keep in mind is that "unisex"/"men's"/"boy's" shirts are sewn in a way that is less form fitting and have larger shoulders (sleeves are longer and start lower, in the case of short sleeves). "Women's"/"girl's" shirts are sewn with more curvature in the waist so it's more form-fitting and the shoulders are made smaller (sleeves are shorter on short sleeve shirts). In order to get the same effect for a "women's"/"girl's" t-shirt, you might need to go two sizes bigger.

I'm sorry if this is a lot to have sink in, but that's pretty much all the info I can give you. Wear what you like and are comfortable in! Hope this helps!

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You might want to buy unisex clothing.
    Converse comes to mind, they've got unisex sneakers.

I agree with Agender about the cut. Pay attention to the cut and the lines of whatever you wear, and stick to straight lines, and also get them two sizes bigger. Women's clothes are a nightmare when it comes to size, best thing you can do is avoid them, specially the trousers.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone else said, what it means to be non-binary is up to you. It doesn't look one way. Ties can be non-binary, as can dresses and heels. It's all up to you.

6. noname8387

non-binary literally means you don't have to stick to the binary, which means you can wear whatever you want.......

7. twogendersonly

What sex are you, male or female?

8. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The OP is non-binary. They stated that in their original sentence...

Your user name is offensive to all non-binary people by the way.

9. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Welcome to Empty Closet, wwps. I'm Ryann (birth name Ryan), a 13 year old MtF girl.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree completely.

11. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can gendered clothing please just stop being a thing? Whenever I see a shirt or something I like in a store my mom always says that I can't get it because it is from the boys' section. Girls should be able to wear whatever clothes they want. Boys should be able to wear whatever clothing they want. Nonbinary people should be able to wear whatever clothes they want!
    [end of rant]

Wear whatever clothes you like to wear. Don't worry about what gender it is made for.

12. ChimerzRUs

Maybe you could try out what I call generic clothing. Like certain jeans and dress slacks (chinos) are styled very similar in both girls and boys. If you are in adult sizes the only difference is the women's style is cut with more room for hips and butt. Our you could get female's cargo pants which create a bigendered look I would think because cargo pockets used to be considered a very masculine style. Then get pullover shirts that are sized unisex.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Preach it. Gendered clothing is ridiculous.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That would be nice, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Besides a MtF (pre everything) wearing cargo pants with straight lines from the male section probably won't blend in very well. Same as a FtM on a floral dress from the woman's section.

Depends on how you see it, can be negative or used for our own purposes.

Not saying boys shouldn't wear dresses or anything. If I was capable of growing a beard, and my voice sounded like Isaac Hayes', then perhaps I could allow myself to wear whatever. Right now, I'd rather not, and not only because it would be impossible to blend in...