1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misgendering and the problem of intimacy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Eveline, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I realized today how truly sad it is that others can't see me for who I am. I cannot begin to explain how much of a relief it is to just talk with girls as a girl, to be asked if I'm ok and to be treated with empathy. I was sitting with my mother today, just listening to her and letting her share and when the conversation ended I realized that no one in my family ever does the same for me and it truly hurts. It makes me feel so unloved sometimes as if no one understands me or knows me. What's truly sad is that they are actually empathetic people and love me but it seems that people instinctively know that men don't need the same form of intimicy as women and they are just treating me as they believe that I would want to be treated. :icon_sad:

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    (*hug*) Sorry to hear that.

I don't think it's true that men need the same form of intimacy, I think it's just that society shapes us to think like that. I think a lot of men as well as women would be happy if they could receive more affection and recognition.

Family don't always act ideally... I'm sorry you have to bear through their distance. You're strong for doing it, at least.

3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that that is a social fabrication but that because of that assumption most men can feel uncomfortable about sharing. That being said I understand the feeling. It is really invalidating to me.
    Maybe you can correct them or tell what you need?

4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you and you are probably right. (*hug*)

To be honest, this is all a bit confusing. :icon_redf

#4 Eveline, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it happens to me a lot! Y'know I sometimes think I'm like a guy in disguise. It's quite funny. Making things funny makes them loose weight. I'd just wish I'd look like a guy so everyone called me a he, or a they. But even if it's a really slow process, we'll get there