1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I still be considered a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by plant, Mar 9, 2016.

1. plant

I've identified as a lesbian ever since middle school, so needless to say I'm very comfortable with that label. I came out to my parents a couple years ago and it's been largely okay since. However, I've recently started to question my gender which makes me wonder if I can still identify as a lesbian while being something other than female. I'm fearful of leaving the community, as it's something I've known for a while.

2. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes you can still identify as lesbian You got the right to label yourself with what you feel comfy with

3. demigodjay

You can identify as lesbian even if you are gender non-binary, gender fluid, or any other gender, it's what you feel comfortable with, not what everyone else does.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would agree with what the above posters said. However, I would like to point something out. If in the future you decided/realized you were trans (FtM) and wanted to be viewed as male, it could get rather confusing if you still referred to yourself as a lesbian. You can of course still keep the title if you want, but my question would be why? Isn't it better to have a label which appropriately defines you as opposed to just sticking with what you're familiar with? Remember what all those labels we have are for. My point is a theoretical one, but something to keep in mind nevertheless.

#4 Kodo, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For now, I would identify as you feel comfortable. Once you have better figured out your gender, you can focus your energy on your sexuality label if you need to. However, like Kodo said, if you do discover that you are FtM (or somewhere masculine leaning) and decide to transition, it could possibly become confusing.

6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah sure! If you identify within the nonbinary spectrum then you can completely be the ones that are a little in the girl enbie (not girly enbie)
    However if you where FtM... That wouldn't make sense