1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans after puberty?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SlamDunk, Mar 9, 2016.

1. SlamDunk

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi. I have a question for other trans people here - is it normal to only feel trans after puberty? Or, to put it a more common way - am i actually trans? I feel like a dude. Well, demi-guy, since I have always felt a little agender as well. I just didn't feel trans until I was about 10-ish (I'm almost 15 now). I haven't felt female since then, but even though I've pinned down what I am feeling, I'm still so confused. When I was younger, I never had a problem with my gender - I never even paid attention to it. But now I feel male all the time, and I feel so uncomfortable with my body, and I sometimes think that maybe this is some kind of phase? Or something else, like body dysmorphia? Has anyone one else had this experience of only finding out about their identity later rather than sooner?

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Until puberty children are commonly not aware of their gender in a social context and as such it can be hard to recognize that something is wrong. It is very common for people who are trans to only figure out that thay are trans during puberty or much later in life. Furthermore, gender dysphoria nearly always becomes a problem only once your body begins to change.

Edit: to be honest, you don't really sound as if you are non binary. It is rare to recognize at such a young age that you are trans, to feel relatively comfortable identifying fully as male and to be aware of gender dysphoria. You are fairly clearly to me simply a guy but it is really your choice how you choose to identify.

#2 Eveline, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most transgender people notice at puberty. I'm 13 and started thinking about it at 11. There's nothing wrong with you! And it's also kinda because our bodies start changing in puberty so that seems the right time.and It's maybe because parents shove our genders assigned at birth to our faces...

#3 DemiLiHue, Mar 10, 2016
  4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't really start thinking about gender until like a year ago. You're fine.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 14 when I was first start questioning, was 16 when I start having major depression due to dysphoria (didn't realize that was what it was though, and was 22 when I finally put the pieces together to realize I was trans.
    Realizing or starting to feel you're trans around/after puberty is common

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always knew something since I was in middle school but was too scared and repressed socially to even consider that I was transgender.

So no, post puberty transgender identity is the norm currently.

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i was 48 before i put it all together, and im still putting it together. so post puberty is perfectly normal.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's normal. Some people don't know until they're in their teens or older.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    You're only 14, so this is not "after puberty" at all, it's during puberty. Plus you said you started noticing at 10, which is around the time you'd start going into puberty, right?

10. AaronV

I'd say noticing at ten is still pretty early. It's definitely not late, nor is there a time when it's too late to realize you're trans.
    I noticed something was off around the age of 13, didn't know I was trans until I was like 17.

11. anonym

anonym Guest

I didn't realise until I was 22/23. I didn't have any body dysphoria before puberty. Even when puberty did come, and I felt more and more uncomfortable with my body, I thought it was just normal, like the whole awkwardness of puberty kind of thing. I didn't start acknowledging it as body dysmorphia until I was in my late teens/early 20s and even then, it took some time to work out it was gender dysphoria.

#11 anonym, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2016
  12. BriSoft

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just realized at 49. I would not worry.

Bri

13. SlamDunk

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your answers. It does make sense to realize after the beginning of puberty, but I ask because the most common trans story I hear about publicly (when I hear anything at all related to trans stuff) is about the trans kids who knew since they were really young - 2, 3 or 4 or such, which is kinda what made me feel like a fraud for only finding out later. Before now, I had very rarely heard any other story.

#13 SlamDunk, Mar 10, 2016
  14. Irisviel

It would appear that most trans people realise the misalignment more or less during puberty, and yet, knowing from the very young age (since earliest memories) is the most popular story.

That has been affecting me greatly, I am 25 and I still find myself in doubt (fading doubt, thankfully).

PS. Puberty would last more or less until you are 17 :slight_smile:

#14 Irisviel, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016