1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychological Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Seagypsy, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Seagypsy

So if Gender is really more psychological than physical, then a bisexual person could say they are attracted to people of a more feminine gender, for example, even though some of those people are physically male, and vice versa of course.

Amongst gay or bisexual women there can be large variations in gender expression, for example, butch, soft butch, femme etc and that's just a few.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But gender expression does not equal gender.

3. Seagypsy

But what about gender identity, is that not more innate?

A person may look male on the outside but be more like a female mentally?

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to ask.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure what you are trying to ask either. But like CadutiMorte said, gender identity and gender expression are 2 different things. Somebody can identify as a cisgender female, but dress in a very masculine manner. Gender identity is how a person sees themselves. Gender expression is how a person chooses to expression that identity to the world.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I'm interested in what you have to say, Seagypsy. :slight_smile: But like Caduti and Brad above, I don't quite follow you. Could you explain further?

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm also not 100% clear on what your question is, but I figured I'd take a stab at it anyway, so hopefully this covers what you were asking:

Different people define their attractions in different ways, but there are generally two main ways of doing it: based on gender or based on sex. This means that there are some people who identify as gay men and mean they like people with penises, regardless of their internal identity, or identify as lesbians and mean they like people with vaginas, regardless of their internal identity. Defining attraction based on gender means a gay man who is attracted to men regardless of biological sex or a lesbian who is attracted to women regardless of biological sex. Someone who defines their attraction based on gender could still have a preference (or even requirement) for certain body parts or genitalia, but still acknowledge that they can experience attraction to people who don't have the genitalia they like, even if they wouldn't want to sleep with them.

Regardless of which way attraction is defined, it's entirely reasonable for a bisexual person to be attracted to cis and trans men, and cis and trans women (and often nonbinary people too). Whether they define their attraction based on biological sex or internal gender is fairly irrelevant because they'll be attracted to multiple sexes and genders regardless. If the person only likes women but doesn't care about biology, I don't think I'd really call that person bisexual, but if they're using a biological sex definition of attraction they might choose to identify with that label anyway.

8. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To answer your question. Yes bisexuals can call themselves androsexual if they are attracted to masculinity in men and women. They can call themselves gynsexual if it's feminity that they are attracted. I think this is what you are refering to. But if you are talking about something more deeper like gender identity then a gay guy with gender identity of a girl is technically a straight trans girl and hence your question runs out of an answer there coz technically they should be viewed as a girl and not a guy. So if a person is attracted to female gender identity irrespective of the physicality they could be considered to be heterosexual if the female identity matches completely or partially to their bodies or skoliosexual if they are women in mind and men in body as they will be considered non binary . As for other non binary people the term used for people attracted to them is skoliosexual. So I guess what you are looking for is androsexual and gynesexual.

9. Seagypsy

Thanks for the interesting responses. I wasn't specifically talking about trans people. It's just I've noticed I seem to like a more feminine personality and mentality, even though sometimes it comes in a male body! So therefore my attraction to men like that could be seen as a gay attraction despite me being female. (I feel more comfortable when the person is biologically male). I do fancy trans people as well though when I meet them, because they often have the mix of traits I like.

#9 Seagypsy, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  10. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is not such thing as a gay guy with the gender identity of a girl.. that is called a straight transwoman. If you are referring to a feminine gay man with a feminine gender expression.. then that does not equate to a female gender identity but rather a feminine gender expression. It is very common to find feminine gay men who identify with their biological sex and also masculine lesbians who identify with their biological sex despite not adhering to gender expression norms and they do not identify as non-binary.

#10 scxred, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  11. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Uhm yes that's what I just said. I referred to female gender expression as feminity ! The gay guy with female gender identity thing. Is a person who doesn't have body dysphoria and who doesn't wish to transition. And I went further to call it being a variant of bi gender if they are OK with being a guy physically even though they are a woman mentally.

12. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender isn't most psychological. There are psychological aspects, but for more than 99% of the population, it's physical. Being into femininity isn't the same as being into women, attraction is based on a lot of things, and for most people, most of it is based on physical traits. I'm not going to be into a feminine guy the same way I would a feminine woman, and I don't think many other people would be, so it's a pretty useless thing to go by, simply a preference. For those who are into femininity regardless of gender, that's called bisexuality.

13. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know several gay men who say they have a female brain, but none of them would say they are trans/bi-gender. They say that ate men, cis men. They are just feminine. Which is their gender expression and not their gender