1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on your name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lacybi, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen lots of threads where people ask for opinions on their name, so I thought maybe this might be a good idea. You just give your opinion on someone's name for them and/or ask for thoughts on your own.

For example, I'm thinking about using Alexander with Alex or Ace as a nickname. Either that or Dannie or Leslie (after my grandad). What name do you think suits me?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I quite like Ace [just by itself] or Leslie. I associate Ace with quite a fast-pace character, but Leslie is a good choice if you're more laid-back.

My name is Jayde. Birth name and no desire to change it as it's unisex. I have no idea if it suits me or not, but my parents liked it after a singer named his kid Jade.

3. insert name

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like Alex and Ace they sound nice, but when I hear Ace I imagine typical bad boy but that's just me.

My name is Ania it's shortened version of female equivalent of my birth name, I hope that it's understandable, my English isn't perfect.

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the Alexander/Ace combination. Though if you like the "ace" sound, another good name is Asa (pronounced 'ace + uh'). Up to you of course. Leslie is also good, has a lot of personality.

My name is Alec, by the way.

5. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Out of those, I like Alexander, personally.

I'm really shaky about my name. My given name (Christon) while unique, sounds and looks a bit too...crunchy, you know? It's hard to describe. I've considered the name Gray and the name Robin, and I've even considered being called "Saint", although that name's kind of...well...odd? But at the same time I don't feel like I could get used to those names. I don't know...

6. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While Alexander (Alex) is a nice name, I find it to be quite popular. That being said, I do think you could pull off Alexander/Alex or Leslie in my opinion.

Lately I've been considering going by Cole, and I actually quite like it, but I'm also thinking about going by something a little more similar to my given name/middle name, KJ or Jay.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Alexander the best but then I am biased XD I've always loved that name.

I always knew Alexander would be my middle name and I thought of having people call me Alex or Xander. But while looking for a first name (and trying out many) I found I like Ryan has a name. I can even imagine being called that instead of Alex or Xander.
    I also thought about just introducing myself as Ryan Alexander and not give my actual last name

8. starrysky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ryan Alexander is pretty cool. I rather like it. haha

I've been going by Kai for the past year. I'm now thinking of still going by it, but making it my middle name and then making my first name Sebastian [basically the only latino name I like]. So I would go as Sebastian Kai.

9. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Ace. It reminds me of a cartoon show I watched. The character was the leader of the group. Strong. Intelligent. I posted on here about my name. I go by Niko (online only; too chicken too ask people to call me that). I took my original name and made an unisex nickname out of it. I find the k in my name makes it more feminine, but the name Nico itself is considered more masculine, but don't base it on how I decided, I wanted an unisex name for my identity as androgyne. Good luck :slight_smile:.

10. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Jayde suits you - you look very androgynous by the way.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 06:55 PM ----------

I think of a 'bad boy' when I hear Ace too - and I'm the most boring person you could meet. I get pretty good grades and I've never been in trouble with my teachers (except for talking; I never shut up). To top it off I love reading, writing and business accounts, fun I know!
    Ania is a lovely name - I've never heard it before but I love how it looks.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 06:59 PM ----------

I heard of Asa but I'm not too mad on it. Great name :wink:

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 07:03 PM ----------

I love the name Robin! You could always shorten Christon to Chris (if you don't already obviously). I have the same problem, while I like names I can't see myself getting used to them. I went by Seth for seven weeks and it's surprising how quickly you get used to a name.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 07:06 PM ----------

I think KJ suits you but you could be a Cole just as easily.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 07:10 PM ----------

You DEFINITELY look like a Ryan Alexander to me. If it's just to friends etc I think introducing yourself as Ryan Alexander is a nice idea; my teacher actually asked me if Hope was my surname because I kept signing his tests as olivia Hope (my first and middle name) and he got confused.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 07:12 PM ----------

Sebastian Kai sounds great! I love double barrelled names/using middle names.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2016 at 07:13 PM ----------

You look like a Niko, and I like how you made it your own!

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ace is pretty rad. For me for my name, I'm on the fence with being okay with it and wanting to flat out disown it.

I've been going by AJ (Alexander Jerick) for years now, and I don't know if I want to keep it. For me, which sounds petty, but I resent the name Alexander for me because it's become really popular; and that kind of bugs me. I've thought about going with Andros, Adam, or Aaron (for the sake of not having to force my loved ones to learn a new name again)...but nothing seems to mesh or sit well with me right.

12. YinYang

I like the names Andros and Adam. Andros is a little more unique, which makes me like it even more. I don't really like Aaron too much, but my annoying cousin's name is Aaron, so I'm biased :lol:

I've been thinking about going by Gray, and I do a little bit. I cringe at my birth name most of the time, which is Briana. I don't know. I like Gray, but I'm not sure if people think it suits me or not.

13. plant

I think that Gray suits you - a lot more than Briana does. Gray is very strong, yet simple, and totally androgynous. If you like Gray, you should definitely go by it.

My birth name is Alexis, and it is the name that I currently go by. I've been questioning my gender lately, and I've thought about changing it to a more masculine ish name, but I am still unsure.

14. JackIsANerd

I am currently using Jackson Mitchell and I think it sounds pretty unique? I am not sure how my family will feel about it though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks :slight_smile:. It took some time, but finally got something that suited me. Hope you find your name :slight_smile:.

16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's a very nice name...

Screw them, Jackson is top dancing bananas, same a Mitch...

People used to know me by some unisex nickname that I changed often, a couple of times they even knew me for masculine nicknames. The only time I felt someone was talking to me, was every time I heard Michael, it was a no brainer...

I had a second name, but I think I'm going to drop it, just Michael is fine by me : Simple name, simple guy, three seconds used to tell someone who you are. We can get as much complicated we both want/ can stand later...

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bumping for anyone who wants to participate in the thread.

---------- Post added 17th Mar 2016 at 08:27 PM ----------

Being the trash I am, I also thought about just changing my name to Wade (be it Wade Jerick or Jerick Wade), but I don't want to have to go through the struggle of getting everyone to call me anything different. I guess I can use it as my stage name, but not sure.

I think Gray is pretty great, if you ask me. :slight_smile:

18. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally get that, and I'm a linguist. Or a student linguist. Or hobbyist. Anyway, people tend to give very similar descriptions for certain sounds and sound combinations. I won't get too technical, but yes it has crunch, but it is also a name that sounds powerful.

"Saint" is an interesting and inventive and unique name. I think the fact that this name came to you means a lot. It resonates with you in particular, and writing this, I can totally picture you as Saint, but Gray and Robin also sound like they could be your name. And anyway, names are fun to experiment with. It's actually not hard to get used to being called a new name. It's a lot like getting used to new pronouns. If there's something in particular you want to be called, why not try it out?

And to answer the OP, it might just be me, but Ace and Alex sound really cool. Dannie and Leslie sound like they belong to very specific kinds of people. Whether you're one of those kinds of people or not, unfortunately I don't know.

19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was really stuck for a name for ages, but I've been going socially by Trevor for over a year now. It's stuck, but I was originally looking for a neutral name, and part of me is a little let down that I couldn't find a neutral name that suited me.

20. JackIsANerd

Haha thank you! :grin: Michael is a very nice and simple name for a classy guy

#20 JackIsANerd, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016