1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idols/Role models

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Invidia, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Are your idols and/or role models 'consistent', so to say, with your gender identity? Or is the gender of the people you idolize not relevant?

For me, I think gender is at least a little bit relevant. I seldom/never idolize masculine lumberjack males. I will more often idolize women. However, I can also idolize and look up to androgynous or feminine guys, even think "I'd like to be like that."
    I find that interesting for myself. As I'm not fully out yet, I present as female about half of the time, and male but androgynous half the time. Sometimes I even feel like just 'being androgynous' is enough for me, like I don't need to transition, and at other times I feel like I definitely need to transition. It's confusing...

Anyways, bit of a random question, but feel free to share your thoughts. :slight_smile: xo

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, admiring someone is totally separate from relating to them for me. I admire women and men equally. There's often a certain trait or achievement I admire about a person, like being compassionate or motivated. I also never idolise lumberjacks, whatever their gender. But I think I don't idolise their feminine counterpart either, whatever it is. Maybe the kind of person who always makes a victim out of themself?

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since I can remember I understood better men, so most of the people you'd call role models for me were (and tend to be nowadays) men. Now and then there is some woman I admire for what she does, but I can't (never could) identify with her.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My role models/idols tend to be male. Unless within my family then its female, but I think that is because most older people in my family are female, while my generation is nothing but males.

When I was a teen some ultra feminist friend brought to my attention that all my role models seemed to male and that I needed to change. So for a few years I made an effort to find females to look up to and ignored the men.

5. Irisviel

Role model and idol are separate concepts to me. So for instance most of the celebrities (actors, singers mainly) that I admire are male, for some reason. I just like to see women as cool and powerful characters, and there is less of them. Furiosa and Ellen Ripley do not hapen each year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I'm not sure why there is more men among celebrities I admire, but I do know cis women who are the same so I'm not worried.

Role model, however... this sounds like someone I would like to learn from. And for that reason, I would say it is Laura Jane Grace, because her expression matches what I would want for myself and she is trans, so there is a lot I can relate to and see her as an example of being brave. And she's a punk rocker, lead singer of Against Me!, so quite successful.

So bottom line is... people I admire tend to be mostly male for some reason, while people I relate to the most (and call role models) always share at least part of my struggle. And would match my gender, often in the sense of showing that a woman is something more than stereotypes.

6. misplacedaegyo

I've always had a tendency to look up to "queer" people tbh. Whether that's regarding gender identity or sexuality or any of that. My current role model is the drag queen Jinkx Monsoon and I also really look up to a korean idol named pyo jihoon <3

7. Lazuri

I can admire both genders, but if I'm to idolize somebody, they'd pretty much have to be women. That just seems to be how I work.

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look up to men and women in different ways. Sure, I have female role models, there are lots of girls like that--but for men, I'm more prone to emulate their behavior and look up to them a bit more. If a girl is really smart, for example, I'll think it's really cool that she's smart and I'll want to be like her, but if a guy is really smart, I'll try to be like him in other ways and probably think about him more.

I can remember doing that with Finn from Adventure Time and Captain America when I was really young I sort of had an obsession with being heroic, and I'd mimic Cap's mannerisms from movies that he was in, sort of involuntarily. I can't think of a girl I've felt the same way about.