1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to *know* your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lnamae, Mar 16, 2016.

1. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I see a lot of posts on here in other places, and it often leaves me feeling a bit disorientated in terms of how I should approach the concept of gender. Lists of liking certain gendered things leaves me confused because anything a guy can like a girl can like too, and vice versa, and I've never seen any of my own interests or like things that I've played with as a kid as any sort of indication that I might be male or female. The things that have caused me to really question, are things that have sort of always been 'felt' rather than been an observation of my behavior.

I'm wondering how others have come to know their gender though, if they haven't been cis?

For myself, I can't describe associating myself with my birth gender as anything more than a feeling of wrongness. But I don't know anything much further than that.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also need something concrete to base it on other than gender roles. For me personally, I base it on how I want to biologically and socially. Mentally, I guess I "feel like a guy" as in I like masculine things, am good at math, I'm more apt to male-dominated professions/interests in general, but that's a small part of it.

A lot of transgender people and cisgender people alike feel the same way, infact a lot of people who identify themselves as transgender or non-binary because of analysing they're interests end up detransitioning or later realizing they're not trans--gender is intrinsic.

The main parts to it, in my opinion, are 1) how do you want to live socially 2) are you cut out to live socially as that gender 3) how do you want to be biologically 4) do you experience dysphoria.
    1,3, and 4, if you're confused out them, I'd recommend either experimenting or keeping a journal on gender related feelings. For two, only time would tell, but if you experience social dysphoria you're very likely suited to live as whatever gender--or if you're not sure, tell people online you're a cis guy/girl and see how it feels to be treated like one--games like World of Warcraft or sites like ****** are great for that.

3. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Interesting, thank you for your thoughts :slight_smile: It's a coincidence that you mention the journal thing actually, because I was thinking of making one to keep track of my thoughts and everything yesterday. Actually, with online sites I usually say I'm a guy anyway, that's just sort of felt like the 'real' me, rather than saying girl. It's like dropping an act...

The points you listed are very good.. Thanks again!!

4. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These first, third, and fourth criteria are how I figured things out for myself. The biggest things for me were how I wanted people to see me and how I wanted to look. I also wanted to set myself free from a prison of masculinity with no outlet for my femininity.

I'll also note that some people who ID as a gender that they weren't assigned at birth don't experience dysphoria. More simply, some might not feel bad about their bodies or how people see them, but would prefer things to be different.

And personally, I don't see gender as intrinsic (I used to), but I don't see it as deliberately changeable either. I see gender as a complex social system, which may or may not have roots in psychology or biology. I'm now operating under the assumption that gender identities are socially constructed categories (not that they aren't real or valid) that people have affinities for, and choose to identify as. And power to people identifying their genders!

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was more or less my red flag. I had my moments growing up where I could address that wrongness, and by the time I was in high school I started to understand that I was a girl in body, but not in "spirit", for lack of a better word. Of course, trans issues were invisible issues, especially on the ftm side of things - it was clear that I was an oddity, so I hid.

These are good points to consider, and things that every questioning person should probably meditate on. For me, I've always gotten along well with all sorts of people, so social things I get involved in tend to be mixed group activities, rather than gender specific activities. That said, being perceived as male is more comfortable for me than being perceived as female - which I learned through years of adjusting to new names and pronouns in some group settings. I also experience dysphoria over the obviously "womanly" elements of me, secondary sex characteristics and such, and I have been slowly grappling with the idea of making physical changes for my own comfort.

When it comes to a physical transition, I think it's important to consider your own level of need - not desire, but real need. I like to check in with myself by asking, "If I woke up tomorrow with/without (insert physical characteristic here), and I was stuck like that for the rest of my life, would life be liveable?" That part of the trans experience is definitely a "slow and steady wins the race" scenario. Waking up without breasts would make life more than liveable - it would be a blessing. But waking up with a full beard? Well, life wouldn't be un-liveable, but I would wonder why I hadn't invested in razors.

6. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Ohh, I feel this would be a really useful way of thinking for me. Haha! I can totally relate to the chest and beard thing. Gosh, having a beard would be so weird! I don't like them in general, but a flat chest, to wake up with that would be so amazing.

I think my 'need' for certain things fluctuates with dysphoria though... There are times when I can't stand my chest, times when it's just ignored. I haven't known any different, so to a degree, I see it all as 'liveable' just not happy liveable, and weird liveable... Definitely it's something that I'll think about, though.

#6 lnamae, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sense of authenticity vs pretending. At some point I realised that even though I can perform the feminine gender role perfectly and I can like it, I'm still missing something. I'm missing the inside, even though I can convince others that I have it. And the second thing is that my authenticity is more masculine than feminine. I don't really think anything has gender on its own, it's the context. Masculine means no more than that it's more frequent for males here and now.

#7 Mihael, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  8. Mr Spock

This makes me think of when I used to play a lot of computer games. I would always be a male character or avatar, and yet I always felt like I was lying. I think it's because I was presenting as a cis boy, when the truth is that I'm a trans man. It's a small change, but it makes a lot more sense to my conscience.