1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I transexual?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IronyIsMySkill, Mar 17, 2016.

1. IronyIsMySkill

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no idea how to start this. All I can say is a YouTube video lead me to this website. And I am hoping someone can help me. I was born as the female sex, but have never starting really questioning my gender until now. Now I am starting to realize things I did as a kid or still do. When I was younger and would play dolls I always wanted to be the guy doll. There was a point in time where all I wore was basketball shorts an t-shirts. It drove my Mother insane. I know that this is not saying I am transsexual, but lately I can't bear to look at my chest. When I look at guys, I envy their body type. I want to be like them. When I hear my birth name I sometimes cringe. Even though it is a beautiful name. I can't stand my hair long. My hair is growing out and my Mother won't let me cut it again, which makes me upset. I feel like I am just talking nonsense now and babbling. But, I am a nervous wreck and just want some answers?
    So the question is am I truly transsexual? Or am I just going through a "phase" as they say.

2. thistlehorn

If you really feel inside yourself that you're trans, you'll know it. I realised that I was whatever weird gender I am by thinking about how I compared to other girls and how little I wanted to be them. Maybe if you feel like you don't belong with your assigned gender, then it could be that you're trans*. Most of what you've described about your past are a lot of signs of being trans*. I'm not saying that playing with boy dolls means you're trans, but if it's got you thinking so badly, it might be significant.
    You shouldn't wonder if it's a phase for too long. Hoping that being trans will end soon is no way to live.
    Ultimately, it's about how you feel. You'll probably figure it out. If having breasts and long hair and a feminine birth name make you feel uncomfortable, there's probably something up.
    Btw, I think the term is transgender. Sorry, I'm nitpicky.

Anyway, good luck on figuring it out!

3. IronyIsMySkill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for that. I realized after I posted that, that I was using the wrong term. But didn't correct it.

Thank you, again.

4. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Actually Transgender is an umbrella term that covers basically every gender identity that isn't cis gender or a gender. Transsexual is the best known type of transgender. the correct term in this case probably is transsexual. Regarding your gender I don't know, but you are clearly having some dysphoria and that should not be ignored.

5. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If nothing else, you sound like you want to change how you look. You could just be a masculine woman, you could be trans in some way. Only you get to say who you are.

Terminology varies from person to person, but I've noticed most trans people prefer the term "transgender" to "transexual" or "transsexual" (with two s's). "Transgender" is an umbrella term for every kind of trans person. "Transexual" (with one or two s's) refers to trans women or trans men only. The spelling difference is significant. Spelling it with one s is meant to take the word back from a culture that has hurt us so much. The spelling with two s's is found in scientific literature that dehumanized trans people, so this spelling is more likely to offend.

Actually, the word in general is likely to offend. I'm offended by it, because of its history in the dehumanization of trans people. So many people see us as "transexuals" and not people.

I only use the word in very specific contexts. Like when I want to describe my medical need to have a more female body (which in my case doesn't have anything to do with genitals FYI).

6. IronyIsMySkill

Out Status:
    A few people
    I apologize if I offended you or anyone in anyway by using those terms. When I wrote this post last night I was extremely upset and was not thinking about the terminology at all. I know now that that was wrong, but that post was just a rumble of words as I was having a slight mental breakdown, so I apologize.

I am grateful for you informing me though and letting me know.

Thank you for your help.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2016 at 02:20 PM ----------

Thank you. I believe I am having some dysphoria problems also. Do you have any idea how to help it? Because lately it has been awful.

7. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made a thread for that, go check it out! (not many posts yet, but its called: Dysphoria Survival Strategy) people posted some good ideas on it

Dysphoria is usually an up and down thing, and it sounds like your in the middle of an "up". So hang in there, it should calm down a bit soon (*hug*)

#7 jaska, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  8. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually I would like to apologize. I didn't make myself clear enough. Although I find the word usually offensive, it's mostly when cisgender people use it to describe trans people. I wasn't offended by your choice of words here. After all, you even had no idea it could be offensive, and came here for help.