1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid I'm making it up

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have really much empathy. I feel pain when I look at someone else being hurt, if I look at someone's face, I can feel their emotions. I can feel with others pretty strongly and can take on not mine emotions easily. This is where my doubt comes from. How can I tell whose the whole trans thing is? How can I tell if it's not just me wanting to feel it and feeling it by power of self-suggestion? Self-suggestion can be very powerful sometimes, if you really want something to happen... :help:

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tend to be the same way but ask yourself do you think and feel that you have any other condition when viewing someone who is suffering, for example cancer. What makes this different?

I do know that one of the reasons I can be really empathetic is that I am living through other people instead of myself. It's a way to cope with dysphoria, we go outside of ourselves and see the world through other people's eyss, to feel and experience the world because we don't connect well with our own body.

#2 Eveline, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I feel the same way often... and not only that, but I also feel that just because I relate better with women doesn't necessarily mean I'm female myself, plus I can occasionally relate quite well to men if they're androgynous/feminine enough... :/ ughh it's so confusing.
    Sorry I can't offer much advice, I'm quite stuck with this myself..

#3 Invidia, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. Mr Spock

I knew I wasn't making it up, at least not the part where being cis-gendered was not for me. The only time I doubt myself is when I'm thinking about putting myself into an uncomfortable situation because of it. (Like telling my mom or going into the military) I know what makes me happy, and there's no way I can change what makes me happy. So be happy! :slight_smile:

5. Delta

If you're having doubts about being trans, chances are, you're trans. Far more people who believe themselves to be transgender are really trans than those that end up being cis after all. :slight_smile:

You may be one of the few, only you can tell in the long run, but if you want to be trans, and you'll be happier that way, it's almost definitely because that's really you. The choice that makes you happy isn't wishful thinking, it's just the right choice. :slight_smile: