1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IronyIsMySkill, Mar 18, 2016.

1. IronyIsMySkill

Out Status:
    A few people
    So lately I've been having awful Dysphoria. It mostly has to do with my chest area and as I do not know exactly what my gender is at the moment I don't know how to word this exactly. (I'm thinking I'm trans, but am waiting to label myself.) But, lately it has been so bad that when I take off a sweatshirt and see even a indication of breasts I get upset. I don't know how to explain, but like I said it is mostly my chest. Also my hair at the moment because it has grown out.

Does anyone know any tips on how to help Dysphoria?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could buy a binder. A lot of trans and gender nonconforming AFAb individuals buy binders to squish down boobs. They're basically just compression tops.
    With that comes the warning to never use bandages or duct tape to bind with as it harmful to the body. You can buy binders from Underworks (they are labeled as compression tops) and another good brand is GC2B. There are others that other people probably know of.
    Amazon binders aren't strongly recommended either. While cheaper they can harm the body.

If you can't afford one or don't want to try it just yet I have heard people recommend wearing two sports bras.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chest and hair were/are two of my most prominent areas of dysphoria. Cutting my hair short was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. It made me feel 100% more confident and comfortable. Is there a reason you're growing it out? If you're scared to cut it short, short straight away or you're being pressued to keep it longer then just cut it in stages. I cut mine to a bob type length before going short back and sides, it made my parents happier to see the middle length and made me definite that that's what I wanted.

The above poster gave good advice about binders, Underworks and GC2B are the most recommended brands for people DFAB, no matter their gender. I'd suggest GC2B if you're larger chested though. Also, I know it's coming up to summer so this is more difficult but, layering your clothes means you're less likely to notice any body shape. So I might wear a t-shirt then a sweater and then a shirt and the shirt hides anything you might be able to see from the side.

4. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wear black tops/shirts cos they hide the chest area better. I can get away with wearing a tshirt and an open shirt with pockets over the chest area with out binding (The pockets bit helps a lot) but it might be different for you. Try it though. What I used to do aswell when I didn't have a binder is where a one piece swim suit. (Cut off the bottom part so it's more comftable so it's like a vest) You could wear two at once, or just get a tighter one. Also, lying on your bed is good. Or wearing a scarf (if it's not too hot) or try different kinds of raincoats and jackets. And instead of thinking of your body as a female body, think of it like this: your mind isn't female, so neither is your body. Your body is whatever gender your mind is, despite whatever it looks like or anyone says.
    Oh yeah, and try not calling them breasts, call them man boobs or moobs, or lumpy chest, fatty chest, demons.....I don't know, those are just some ideas

Remember that dysphoria really is just all in your head. It's the reason why some trans people may have horrible dysphoria and others are barely aware of it :slight_smile:

#4 jaska, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016