1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convince my mom???

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TiaKay, Mar 18, 2016.

1. TiaKay

TiaKay Guest

So for the first Iv'e decided to buy guy clothes but from a website cause I think it will probably be embarassing at the store and my mom will think I'm weird. I have to say that Iv'e been waiting for this and Iv'e finally done the step I feel like I'm gonna be more comfortable with what I'm gonna wear. But I went on a site where there is sort of unisex clothes and not really for girls but for guys. I was trying to have an idea in my head to convince. So I told her that it's unisex and it's from a band (not). Then when I was asking her for it she just looked at it and said "it's not guy clothes? It's look like a guy clothes?" But I said "no it's unisex and it's from a band". She said ok to buy it but then she kept looking at it saying "it's guy clothes" and I was keeping tell her but she ok. I have to say I was scared but Iv'e done it. The thing is that I'm scared that she'll think something is wrong with me or that I'm weird and I'm sure she's already thinking that...

So now my next step is to get a short hair cut. But I seriously don't know how I'm gonna do this! Cause I saw the reaction of my mom for "guy clothes" and now I think that she'll really think that something is wrong if I tell her I wanna cut my hair short and she'll sure say no and think I'm crazy same for my dad! I just seriously don't know how to do that! I was thinking for excuses exemple : cut it for charity, I want to try something new or I wanna change my style. But I know the charity won't work she'll seriously think I'm crazy. But the two others I think that I'll still not convince her and she'll think that I'm getting weird.

Does anyone has advice to how I could try to convince my mom or/and how to do it and to tell her???

2. IronyIsMySkill

Out Status:
    A few people
    My Mother is like yours it seems. When I first got my hair cut I made a deal with her. She as long as I styled it and wore makeup she would allow it. But, I don't wear makeup and now that the hair cut has been done she can't really do anything about it. Maybe perhaps make a deal like that with your Mother. My hair is growing out again, but I am going to try and it get it cut soon. :slight_smile: As for the clothes in the guys section etc. My Mother is the same way on that also. But, maybe just hide them in a sweatshirt around her? My Mother gave up on trying to get me to stop buying usually guy clothes after awhile, but she still makes comments about it.

3. Mr Spock

I told my mom I was going to get a pixie cut. If you google celebrities with pixie cuts you will see many examples of feminine, short haircuts.

I would also advise you not to buy your transgender clothing online because you may find that things fit you a bit differently than they would on a regular guy, which may make you go up or down a size.

To start out your wardrobe I would go with unisex or guy's t-shirts, polos and button-downs. The t-shirts are the easiest to pass off as unisex but they cling to your breasts more than other kinds of shirts. Layering helps, and so does binding and packing.

Anyways, good luck! :slight_smile:

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can say you want guy clothes because you like the looser fit and the pockets that function as pockets, or a short hair cut because you want to try a style that's more wash and go, or that stays out of your eyes. You can say you're not interested in makeup because you believe in natural beauty, or you just don't feel it's worth the time, or that you want to wear sneakers all the time because they're better for your feet.

If you feel the need to lie or avoid full truths, I'd seriously avoid making things up that are too complicated or convoluted - your mom will know you're not telling her something. Judging by her reaction to what you told her about the clothes you wanted, she's not buying it. If you seriously feel the need to lie, veiled half-truths are better than full lies. A lot of girls do prefer utilitarian items, function over form, or dressing down for comfort - it wouldn't sound so strange if your reasoning for wanting to shop for guy pants, etc, was because you prefer it. You don't even need to go into detail beyond basic, functional elements, like pockets. And anyway, it makes you sound more genuine and more convincing.

If you don't want your mother to think that something is wrong, then don't give her any reason to think that something is wrong. Give her every reason to think that everything is all right - that the changes in your style are happening because they're comfortable for you. Plenty of girls wear short hair and dress in a unisex, androgynous way. The only reason your mom should be worried, or see red flags, is if you give her a reason to.

And listen to Mr Spock, and don't be afraid to shop in real shops. Once you get over your fear, it isn't a big deal at all. I've had conversations with guys in shops while I still looked very female about the clothes they were selling me, and no sirens went off, nobody kicked me out. It's generally acceptable for girls to dress "tomboyishly", so it's really unlikely that anyone will think too much of it.

5. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And also in shops; no one cares. Seriously. The people who work there don't give a rat's fart about what you buy as long as you buy it. I was terrified when I bought boxer shorts but no one said anything other than "do you want a bag?" It's a lot worse in your head, trust me.

6. Lee15

I was embarrassed about buying men's clothes in real shops at first, and the first time I worked up the guts to actually visit the men's section my ex-boyfriend was there :/ What I did was pretend I was buying a present for a guy. It's perfectly acceptable to go into a shop and buy something for someone else, and pretending in my head that that was what I was doing made me feel less embarrassed about it. Also you begin to realise after a while that no one actually cares, and although you might still feel a little nervous going into the men's section, it's good to remember that people are there to shop and probably don't care what you're doing.

My Dad was weird about me wearing men's clothes and getting a haircut at first but he just got used to it after a while. I hope this helped and that your mum comes around to the idea! (*hug*)

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can excuse it with "everyone in my school wears that now!" or that someone you know, a girl, wears that kind of thing or has this and that haircut and looks awsome and that it's so fashionable :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You can go shopping and "lose" labels and bills that have "men's" written. In shops - really, it's not that bad, many women buy men's clothing. For themselves because it's more practical or they like it, or for husbands, boyfriends, brothers ... My first men's shopping was not too difficult, the girl who sold there was a tomboy herself and completely understood that I like those clothes. "I like it" is enough of a reason to wear something :slight_smile:

Everyone offered good advice and that's the only thing I can add :slight_smile: