1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name changes are weird

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lee15, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Lee15

Hi! I just wondered if anyone might be able to give me some advice on choosing a new name. I chose the name Lee about a month ago since it has the same initial as my birthname (Lauren). I played around with a lot of names but I think I'd rather have one close to my birthname.

I like the name Lee, but I'm still having a little trouble associating it with myself? Like, my sister actually used that name for me the other day and it made me really happy, but I don't know if that was because of the name itself or the fact that she'd made the effort to use the name I asked her to use. I'm pre-everything at the moment so I'm wondering if it might just be because I don't look like a Lee?

Also, I feel like it's too short? Out of all the names beginning with L that I've found it's definitely my favourite, but I'm so used to having a two syllable name that it sounds odd when I say it. That's only a tiny problem but it's bugging me a little bit.

I just wondered is it normal to feel this sort of disconnect with your new name at first? Has anyone experienced something similar, especially prior to transitioning, and how long did it last? Any suggestions of multiple syllable names that could be shortened to Lee? Thanks!

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it can happen. I've felt a disconnect with my name for a while, and didn't want to be put in the situation where I hate it once it's changed. I'm testing out Adam, and I really like it.

As for the name situation you're in, two that come to mind are Leonardo (can be shortened to Leo as well) and Leland. Do any of them sound good?

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took me awhile to feel a connection to the name Brad. After you are called your birthname for so long, it can take some time to get used to being called by another name. Have you thought about longer names that can have the nickname "Lee". My full first name is Bradley, but I generally just go by Brad. So, that is an option as well if you are uncomfortable with your first name being so short.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can also be shortened from Leon, even though that's only a little longer.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, it took me a little while to get used to Cody. But for me, that period of time was only a month or two. For some reason, though I'm indecisive about pretty much everything else, picking my name was really easy for me. I just saw the name and knew it was me. But still, after being called one name your entire life, even if you hate that name, it still can be strange to get used to.

6. Lee15

Thanks for the suggestions! I really like Leon actually, I hadn't thought of that one!

I like Leland and Leonardo but they're really unusual names where I live, and I don't wanna make myself stand out more than I already do :lol: Leon isn't common but it isn't weird either, and I can still shorten it to Lee.

It's good to hear that it's quite normal not to feel attached to the name at first, I do like mine though, hopefully I'll get used to it soon :slight_smile:

#6 Lee15, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016