1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthma, dry mouth, and binding

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KaelTail, Mar 19, 2016.

1. KaelTail

I've been binding for almost a year now, and I'm on my 3rd month of testosterone. I don't bind daily, but maybe 2-3 days a week on average. Usually only for a maximum of 5 hours at a time, though there have been rare days where I was binding for 8 hours. I have a history of asthma, and it's mostly seasonal and mild, but this year I've been coughing A LOT and wheezing, and in the last few months I seem to have bubbly saliva that doesn't go away no matter how much I drink. I went to an doctor to get my lungs checked out and they found nothing on the X-ray and no sign of asthma, just an irritated throat, and sent me on my way. I was terrified I might have been binding too hard and caused damage, but I'm not having any chest pain at all, and I haven't even had a really tight binder until my recent purchase that's "wearing in". My saliva is instantly bubbly when I bind now, even if I bind loosely and give a good 4-5 days of rest, and my throat gets more instantly hoarse and scratchy.

So... my question is, has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what fixed it? I can breathe deeply in all of my binders, but even my sports bra is bothering me now... I need help, as I'm starting to pass as a guy reliably, so not binding is very embarrassing and hard to explain. Please help!

2. AngelDragonfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok.......I'm sorry, I don't bind......but take a look at what I found- before that though, you might just want to ask your doctor if what you are doing is safe. (just for your saftey, I have nothing aginst people who bind, but this does not sound good....so just check in :slight_smile:)
    (if you are on testosterone, your doctor probably know you are doing female to male, right? or maybe not?) but I found this-

Health Consequences of Chest Binding | FTM Top Surgery

It seems you are pretty worried-sorry I could not really help as I have not binded before, but if you are worried about pain-talk with your doctor.......I am not saying you have to, it's your life, but that's my chunk of advice there. :slight_smile: Best of luck to you in your journey.........:slight_smile:(*hug*)

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thirst issue could be related more to the T. When I first started on T, I had to drink a ton more fluids than I was used to. My mouth still sometimes gets really, really dry. Do you take any allergy medications for your seasonal asthma? I have really bad seasonal allergies and that is something that has helped me.