1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Singing while on T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ForAlgea, Mar 19, 2016.

1. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm ftm transgender and on testosterone my voice is changing--which in many ways is a good thing, but the problem is that singing is one of my favorite past-times and now my voice is squeaking, the placement of notes is really different, and there is a range of notes in the high tenor/ low alto area where if I sing you can hear beats (I didn't even know that could happen...). I don't really know how to go about practicing singing through this? Are you supposed to sing through puberty? Can anyone who sings and has transitioned to male, or a cis-guy who sang through puberty give me some advice for singing through my transition?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be a bit complicated, because not only do you have to get used to your new voice, but you also have to get used to it squeaking until it settles a bit. I would sing, but if I felt any pain in my voice I would stop. Over time, I could sing for longer and longer amounts of time. So, I would try not to push your voice too hard, but I would not say to totally stop singing. Everything that I found when I looked things up just said to take it easy and listen to your body when it came to this.

3. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

4. Irisviel

Going through puberty usually means having to go easy on your voice when it comes to singing. You have muscle memory that doesn't match the new shape, and it changes constantly so everything you learn is hindered by vocal cords growth. So basically there is a period where one needs to be careful and accept that your muscle memory is catching up to your body, and will only settle when your voice settles. The more focused you are on the feedback your body gives you and not try to force the voice, the easier it will be. Certain things are unavoidable, like all the weird sounds; some squeak more, some less.