1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions About T and FtM Transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pumpion, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Pumpion

Hold up. I've said I'm non-binary and I still am non-binary. But I've been entertaining the idea of what if I started T and the vague possibility of top surgery or at least reduction in that area (bottom wouldn't be necessary because I don't experience dysphoria down there for some weird reason, idk), and I was just curious about some things about that kind of thing.

• I know your voice drops when you've been on T, but by how much does it drop, if you had to give an approximate percentage?

• What else happens when you go on T?

• What is the process? Is it specifically for FtM trans or could it also be available for more masculine-feeling non-binary people?

• What does top surgery entail? Is it just basically a mastectomy?

• How long do the scars take to heal and fade?
    Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions, but I've been debating the next steps after coming out to my parents, and possibly to my school. Also these questions may be questions other people may have as well :slight_smile:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know your voice drops when you've been on T, but by how much does it drop, if you had to give an approximate percentage?

- It's different for everyone, so it's impossible to say. Some people have big changes, and some don't. Here's a link to my blog where I have a pre-T to one year on T comparison: AJ's Voice Logs: Pre-T to 1 Year on T

What else happens when you go on T?

- A number of different changes happen, and what you might experience will be different from someone else. Your genetics will play a big role in what you might or might not see. For me; oily skin, acne, changes in muscle definition, body hair, below the belt changes, and voice changes are some of the things I've noticed in a 13 month period.

Sites like Hudson's Guide have a nice list of common changes. Be sure to check that out.

What is the process? Is it specifically for FtM trans or could it also be available for more masculine-feeling non-binary people?

- Non-binary people can pursue HRT if that's something they want. My partner is non-binary, and he had no problem at all starting T. There's two general ways to get start.

One is to see a gender therapist, who, after some time with one-on-one sessions, will write you a letter saying they feel HRT is the next best step for you. They might often recommend an endocrinologist for you, and then you see them to start the process. The other is informed consent, which is where you basically sign off on a consent form with a doctor saying you understand the risks and know what you're getting yourself into; and you pretty much start then and there or sometime shortly after when you get blood work done.

I recommend seeing a therapist first to help you out, even if it's just to map out short term and long term goals you have. It's very important to educate yourself on HRT related things, because they aren't something to take lightly.

What does top surgery entail? Is it just basically a mastectomy?

- Hudson's Guide also has a section on top surgery. Technically, yes, it's like a mastectomy, but a bit different. Usually the more common form that people think about is DI or "double incision" where they form two incisions near your pectoral line to remove the fat. There are many other forms of top surgery that exist; each having their own pros, cons, and methods depending on the surgeon.

How long do the scars take to heal and fade?

- This isn't a cut and dry thing, since it all depends on a number of factors; such as how your ability to heal, if you have complications, and what method you do for top surgery. Some (like keyhole or peri-areola) have smaller scars because the incision location. For info on that, I'll link you to a blog that discusses all things top surgery: FTM Top Surgery

3. InfinityonHigh

1. From what I've heard, it drops your voice about an octave
    2. Most of the things that happens to cis guys during puberty
    3. There are plenty of non-binary transmasculine people that go on T, it's not binary specific. Though I'm not sure about the exact process
    4. Most top surgeries can also be referred to as mastectomies. in a nutshell, top surgery is removing enough breast tissue (and fat) so that your chest is flat. One main difference between top surgery and cancer related mastectomies is that with top surgery, they usually keep your nipples (although depending on the procedure, they'll probably resize them or use grafts)
    Also, not to try and scare you off from asking questions here, but googling your questions can help you get some much quicker and likely more comprehensive answers.