1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know how to act because of my socialization

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NotKnowing, Mar 20, 2016.

1. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Lately I've been trying to get into talking to girls because I think I'm into them (the whole sexuality is kind of a blurr to me yet)
    But I've realized: I don't know how to act around them. I know how to act around them as friends, because that's all I've experienced so far. I feel like I'm stil trying to "impress" them the way I would have tried to impress boys (as a girl): playing shy, cute etc. (Yes, I know that that's stupid no matter what gender you're trying to impress is)
    I feel pretty okay with myself most of the time but whenever I get a compliment from a girl (or from a boy but that doesn't really happen) all I hear myself say is "Aw, I'm not but thanks!" just as kind of a reflex?
    So does anyone have a tip for me? How can I lean less towards acting "girly" around girls?

2. AaronV

What I find very important: Be natural. Sure, you could google "how to flirt with girls" and you'll get lots of resources for cis straight dudes, but it probably wouldn't be you.
    If you feel sorta good about yourself, be confident, but don't try to change for anybody.
    I'm guessing most people would prefer a humble, down to earth guy over a walking macho stereotype.