1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figured Out at a Weird Time

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Delta, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Delta

So, I feel like my gender identity is less valid because I didn't get around to figuring out that it was different until I was 21, and that's not "later in life" but it's not young enough to be a "transkid" either. It's like, if I were "real" it would have been apparent when I was a teenager.

Some things were apparent when I was a teenager, but I ascribed it to being gay. I know gender roles are only so useful, but I did pick and choose freely from all gendered activities and interests my whole life. Trucks but also barbies, dress up but also robots, playing surgeon and teacher and pirate (especially "female pirate who is masquerading as a man in order to captain her own ship and crew, that was my favorite to play pretend when I was alone, especially as I got closer to puberty.) I was happy being a girl, mostly. When I was unhappy, it was always around an issue where I felt boys and girls were being treated unnecessarily differently.

I started getting less and less comfortable with being a girl as high school and college went forth, and now that it's the end of my 4th year of college, I really don't think I am a girl anymore. That's part of it, yes, sometimes, but there's so much more besides. I'm too happy as a guy and as an androgynous person also to be content limiting myself anymore...

I don't know, I'm just having a dysphoric day. I could use a little reassurance. :icon_sad:

2. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. You are valid, even though you found your identity "later" in life.

For me, it's just that I know how I feel, but I don't have terms for them. Well, not until now. But before, they were just "feelings" of being "different". I am very accepting of myself, so it's very easy for me to find something new about me and accept it almost immediately. The only thing I originally didn't accept that I probably have autism. I am waiting to hear back from my psychologist to see if I do or not, but this took me about 6 months to realize that I probably do suffer from autism.

Anyways, just remember, you are still accepted. Some people may not come out until they are a lot older (i.e Caitlyn Jenner), and that doesn't mean they are less valid. I hope this reassures you a little bit :slight_smile:.

3. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was queer before you were born but am just facing it and embracing it this year. Every day is a gift. I wish I could be your age in 2016 just to come out at 21. But you and I are equally valid.

I get dysphoria, too. It happens. I know that I'm at risk for being bitter because things didn't turn out all rosy like they could've been - I am lucky and am thankful for what I have. I'm the oldest in my Pride Club at uni but am equally accepted and validated.

You are valid. Just do the best you can each day. And don't forget we're here for you. :thumbsup:

4. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone learns at a different pace same with figuring out your gender. Whether you find it at age 5 or 70, you've still found it. Just cause you found it later doesn't mean your identity is less valid than everyone else's and anyone who says otherwise probably has low self-esteem. Whether you're a boy, girl, a mix, or neither, you're still the Delta we know and appreciate <3