1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender issues make me feel so unmotivated

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheremHarth, Mar 24, 2016.

1. TheremHarth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here occasionally and finally decided you're probably the right people to unleash some of my bagge on. :icon_wink

I’m almost-25 and identify as an androgyne. Luckily, I’ve always also looked the part, but I’ve also been using a low dose of testosterone for a few months (under supervision from my GP who has been surprisingly awesome about it). Looks-wise I’m happy being “in between” like this; I tried going in both “normal” directions and neither fit.

The problem is that in the eyes of society and everyone I meet in day to day life – except for a very few close friends – that gender doesn’t exist. Of course, that also means that I’m misgendered all. the. f***ing. time. Regardless of whether someone thinks I’m a woman or a teenage dude. Not to mention that third gender / gender neutral pronouns don’t exist in German anyway.

And of course everytime I enter a gender-segregated zone, I get weird looks. You know the story… women pestering you in public bathrooms (I actually haven’t had issues in men’s bathrooms yet, so that’s where I’ve been going lately), changing rooms, awkward situations almost every time gender comes up, forms… In school I was bullied all the time for my gender presentation on top of all that. I actually dropped out of commercial school because of that and ended up getting a lesser degree back then (no A-levels).

I worked in retail in the past and had a bunch of teenagers loudly debate just outside the store which sex I “really” am while I was fixing the shop window. Customers discussing it and wondering while they were waiting in line at the cash desk (*Dear Slovenian customers, since I speak your language as well, I actually understand what you’re saying. A**h***s.* I should’ve said that out loud. ;-) )

Not to mention that I’m busy becoming a personal trainer because I love exercise and sports. The gym environment and training people, however, are things I’ve been dreading.

And apparently I've also acquired some sexual / emotional issues because of this. Deep down I believe 'I'm neither a proper woman nor a proper man, and who could possibly ever want something like that?!' Yeah, I know... "proper"... It's bullsh*t and it's irrational, but try telling that to my lizard brain!

I never feel more lonely and disconnected from the world than when I’m among people. (Except for occasionally with my best friend.)

You get the point… Basically, any kind of social interaction is just bloody exhausting. I’ve been thinking a lot about why I feel so unmotivated to finish my certification or generally engage in social interaction, and I came to the conclusion that this crap is precisely the reason why. I mean, I’m a huge introvert too, but that’s not the problem. I sat my ass down a few times and tried to imagine a society where I wouldn’t be both invisible and a “freak show” and I could live freely; it really made me feel more motivated to just, you know… get out into the world more and get stuff done.

So, I guess what I’m looking for is advice about how I could handle this. Or any other thoughts you might have.

Just don’t tell me to get a shrink. I’ve had some in the past (yes, in the plural) and they were bloody idiots when it came to LGBTQ issues (despite me having found two of them on Austrian trans health websites). And I don’t have the financial means for them anyway.

Thanks all in advance!

2. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't help you on the gender issues you face because I have never had to deal with them. (I am cis-male)

What I can tell you is that I find androgyny to be very attractive. There are many people out their like me, so please don't let your spirits get down. The good news is that you don't have to go through so many relationships to find someone who is open minded like cis-gender people who have to shuffle through the lower life-form hating bigots... Someone who is interested in you is more than likely going to be a nice, open minded person like yourself. (regardless of what gender they are.)

Keep being yourself and someone special will come along (*hug*)

3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello fellow androgyne :slight_smile:. I haven't found a lot of androgynes on here (I think I found one more, maybe two), so it's nice to see you :slight_smile:.

That's good you are on testosterone. I naturally have high testosterone and low estrogen so I kinda have a masculine look. I haven't grown hair and don't plan on it so I look more androgynous.

I speak some gender, and it's kinda sucky that Sie means she and they in German (and you also) so if you go by Sie, they'll think you mean she and not they. You could use Es kinda? In terms of German, I know a limited amount so but I understand what you mean.

I'm sorry you've had bathroom problems. I haven't yet, but maybe people are wondering in their heads or I look more feminine to them when I try to look more masculine.

I'm sorry people bullied you about presentation. I wish people would understand how you look doesn't mean anything whatsoever. I know A-levels mean a lot up there (I'm from Canada, so different school system), so I'm sorry about that.

No one but my siblings have questioned my gender, but I have always wore more masculine stuff. I wear no makeup, which is what is considered "normal" in my society; for guys to not wear makeup. I'm not saying they can't, but many don't.

And I get how you feel. I am nor man or woman, though I am not a 50/50 androgyne. I'm a 60/40 man/woman androgyne. That's where I feel most comfortable.

It's good that you want to be a personal trainer. Exercising will help you get an even more androgynous look by working arms especially.

I know the world sucks. Luckily my school is good and no one has questioned me yet. Though one of my good friends is probably wondering because in one of my classes, the teacher always uses gender as two options, and I am not male and female, but I say female because that's the gender I was assigned. Well, she's probably wondering because I always ask why he uses that as an example because some people aren't male or female.

My advice is this: society sucks for non-binary people. That you can't do anything about. People are also rude and don't think what they say are hurting others (you). What you should do is continue to be yourself. Your self worth shouldn't depend on how others view you. You need to not worry about others and what they think of your gender. I have the need to so desperately correct people, but I don't. You do feel social dysphoria? If you do, that is probably one of the problems. People not calling you the right pronouns or by your name. If someone is going to ask me my gender, my answer is going to be: does it matter, because why should it matter what gender I am? Are you going to treat me differently if I say one gender compared to another? If you actually want to know, ask me what pronouns I want to know. Don't ask my gender, because in my opinion, it's kinda offensive. Well, mainly if they laugh about what gender you actually are.

So continue to be you. If the people you are close to know your gender, you should be set. Coming out is the hardest thing, but you seem to have come out to your friend, so that's a start. I want to come out, but I don't feel comfortable yet.

My name is Niko, by the way :slight_smile:. If you have any other questions, just ask me :slight_smile:. I will try to help, but I'm no expert.

I wish you the best :slight_smile:.

4. Delta

I won't tell you to get a shrink because really that's not my place. But I will tell you that you may not want to give up on shrinks entirely. Just like your GP, some of them are surprisingly awesome. I'm also struggling with my identity right now. All I want, literally the only thing I want is to be out of the closet about my gender and all the things it does, and have that be just fine. Just, normal. Not additional attention, just acceptance

I'm afraid I can't give you advice on how to handle it. I just don't know, it's an uphill struggle and I don't have the experience to help you, yet. I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat. (*hug*)

5. TheremHarth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @TXTurbo90

*chuckling* A built-in spam filter... That's not a bad point. :lol:

@Nike007

"You could use Es kinda? In terms of German, I know a limited amount so but I understand what you mean."

Oh hell no! There were three guys from an adjacent school who picked me out at a bus station at some point and kept pestering me for years by asking stupid questions, running after me and loudly calling me "Es!" on my way to school etc.... There's also a seriously depressing book, A Child Called "It", and it's generally terribly impolite to call someone "es". :icon_wink
    One guy I know once half-jokingly actually called me "das Angel" and "es" when he introduced me to a group of his acquaintances - I was not amused. :bang: I mean, I know he didn't intend to piss me off; quite the opposite, but still...

Yeah, it would be nice if I could just care less, but highly dosed Fuckitol is in limited supply. :icon_wink

Nice to meet you, Niko! (*hug*) I'm Angel. :slight_smile:

@Delta

"The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling." - Lord Varys (A Clash of Kings, George R.R. Martin)

You keep on paddling, too! :slight_smile:

6. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry. I'm not super familiar with Autrian culture. I'm sorry they picked on you for that :confused:. That's mean of them. I don't know what else to do.

I'm sorry. It's nice to meet you too :slight_smile:.

#6 Nike007, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  7. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's the perfect way of thinking about it... I wish I had a built in spam filter when looking for friends and partners.

One thing that has stuck with me is a quote I heard growing up: (paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact verbiage)

"Perspective is your personal reality; If you choose to view everything in a negative perspective, it will be negative..But if you choose to look on the bright side, your reality will be positive."