1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal name changes with dual citizenship.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sen, Mar 24, 2016.

1. sen

sen

Hello, everyone.

I am a US citizen, as well as a citizen of the EU, specifically France.
    Getting a name change in the United States may be expensive, but it's pretty easy. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, names can only be changed in France in special cases. (For example, an unintentional vulgar meaning that can cause harassment of the individual who bears the name.)

Does anyone here live in France and have this issue? Has anyone been granted a name change because of their transition?

I currently reside in the United States, and am not completely familiar with how France views transgender individuals. I feel as though they are much less heard of. There are also no neutral pronouns, besides perhaps the ones that people have created for themselves.
    Then again, I may be completely misinformed, and if that is the case then please educate me.

If I was desperate, I realise that I could renounce my French nationality. I would like to live in Europe later in my life, though, but probably not in France. Does anyone know if it would be possible to gain citizenship of another European country and renounce the one I currently had? Is this even possible? I feel as though I sound pretty crazy, haha..

I've been dying for an answer to these questions, and I welcome anyone to share their thoughts and opinions, even if they have not directly experienced an issue of this sort.

Thank you in advance.

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Usually, if they grant you a gender marker change, they also grant you a name change.

Looking at France's policies, it seems they want you to take hormones, but not necessarily have any surgeries.

So, yeah. I don't know if you know French, but I highlighted the most important parts. Basically, they want your sex change to be irreversible.

Here's where I took it from:
    transsexualité, Etat civil, Sénat, loi. En bref - Actualités - Vie-publique.fr

Also, France is probably more open minded as a whole than the United States. I would be pretty surprised if you couldn't change your documentation there.