1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are people who identify as agender considered transgendered?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chinaski, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I might be agender but I don't identify as transgender. I don't identify as transgender because I (AFAB) don't feel like I want to transition since I don't think of myself as male. The only thing I'd like to change about myself is my chest. I'd love to get a breast reduction so I could look more androgynous (I really hate my breasts). Anyway, are people who identify as agender considered transgendered? Also, how is the word "transgender" actually used? Is it used to describe to people who are going through or want to go through transition or is it used to describe all people who aren't cisgendered, including people who identify as agender? It seems like people use the word differently, which makes me a bit confused.

Thanks.

#1 Chinaski, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Transgender means someone who does not identify as the gender they were assigned at birth, so yes agender falls under transgender. Also because transgender is an adjective it doesn't have a past tense.

3. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry. (Still learning.)

#3 Chinaski, Mar 25, 2016
  4. Delta

Well, everything I know and believe about the subject says that it's up to the person doing the identifying. If you feel agender but you don't feel trans, you don't have to identify that way. But, if you do feel connected to the transgender community, or you do feel like your experiences mirror those commonly experienced by the trans community, you are more than welcome to find an identity and camaraderie in that.

I believe that trans means everyone who doesn't identify with the gender they were assigned at birth. What people do medically is their business and I don't think it should affect the amount of community support they receive. There are many reasons why people may choose to make physical and social transitions, or not, and they still deserve to have their identities respected by those they share that information with.

5. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes sense, Delta. Thank you for explaining!

6. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You don't have to id as trans, although agender does "fall under the transgender bracket". It's not about transition, like above said. I'm not going to transition physically but I'm still transgender. (I've transitioned my social presence, through pronouns and dress, but am not seeking any surgery or HRT.)

It's up to you!

7. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What matters is who you are and your own experiences. Does the term transgender hold meaning to you in context of who you are? Does it feel right to you? As someone who is agender you do fall under the umbrella term transgender but it means nothing about your experiences that have lead you to identify as agender. It is mostly a term used to connect socially to the movement. I do feel that if you do choose to identify as transgender to others it is important to realize that the experiences of those that fall under the umbrella term are drastically different, you can only really know how someone who is agender truly feels and that is also only on a limited basis as people choose to identify as agender for different reasons.

There is a tendency to try to minimize the importance of transitioning in context of being transgender, however, transitioning is extremely important for a large percentage of the community because of how horrible it can be to try to cope with gender dysphoria without transitioning. When you talk about the community, you are also talking about those coping with dysphoria and that's something that I believe should be kept in mind. A good way to understand it is through the label cancer survivor, cancer effects people in drastically different ways, curing some forms of cancer does not involve chemotherapy or radation therapy The people who survive such experiences are still cancer survivors however when they describe themselves as such to others they need to also take into consideration that some people go through experiences that they did not. It would be of really bad taste for them to generalize cancer using their experience as an example. Furthermore they need to be aware of the effect calling yourself a cancer survivor has on others. People will react in a fairly extreme manner when you tell them you are a cancer survivor which might make someone who went through certain types of cancer feel uncomfortable with the association. In a similar manner, when you call yourself transgender, you are taking on a label that has fairly extreme social reprecaussions. Family members will react in a much more problematic manner than if you would have come out as agender to them. It does make people take your coming out in a much more serious manner which can be an advantage but it also often leads to hurtful reactions and might end really really badly.

#7 Eveline, Mar 25, 2016
  8. the haunted

Agender technically falls under the trans umbrella, but if you don't feel comfortable calling yourself trans, then you don't have to. You can just say "agender" and call it a day. :slight_smile:

9. Irisviel

I don't like to blur the meanings of words. Transgender describes anyone who is not cisgender, and cisgender means matching sex and gender. Agender means sex and gender do not match.

There is no such thing as "feeling trans". Being trans is just a name you give to experiencing feelings of belonging to any gender that deviates from cis majority.

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general, trans* means any gender identity that is not cisgender. It's an umbrella term.

Basically there are three camps of trans* identities:
    > male (those AFAB but who identify as male or masculine)
    > female (those AMAB but who identify as female or feminine)
    > neither (those AFAB, AMAB, or intersex who identify as some combination, fluidity, or nuetral between male/masculine and female/feminine OR do not identify with any binary gender)

#10 Kodo, Mar 25, 2016