1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have a crush on a non-binary person :) Tips?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by beowoolf, Mar 26, 2016.

1. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have weeee bit of a crush on a non-binary person. We've met a couple of times and I was attracted to them at the get-go and although I think they like me they're probably not interested me in that way (not yet at least!).

Was wondering if anyone here has any do's and don't's when dating non-binary individuals. I already made the awful mistake of misgendering them once which makes me :bang: but they seem understanding and forgiving that slip-ups can happen. I know I'm probably grossly ignorant of the concept and am doing my best to educate myself, though!

2. Delta

Well, everyone's different, and as a non-binary person all I really want is for my gender to by a gender like anyone else's. Understood to be a meaningful part of me, understood as a practical concept, and then just sort of seen as normal and usual and fine, like binary genders are. And I know that not everyone does understand, so when people commit themselves to learning and asking questions and listening, it's super easy to get excited about that.

Even if they screw up or make mistakes, I don't mind so much if they're honestly trying. A quick "sorry" is better than a long winded apology. We already understand it takes getting used to. It takes most of -us- some time to get used to when we're coming out. Don't dwell on screw ups, but do focus on the actions that correct them. There's no need to hold onto regret about past instances of misgendering after an apology, but if that happens often, do put some more focus on gendering them correctly in the future. If they're anything like me, they'll appreciate the constructive nature of that path forward.

I can't promise that they'll like you back, but be honest and straightforward with them, so that if they do like you, they like the real you. Communicate well, learn how they like to talk and how they like to listen, and no matter where the relationship goes, that'll help you to keep it understanding and harmonious. Good luck!

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be conscious of the pronouns and language you use so that they feel comfortable. Other than that, it's just like having a crush on anyone else. Once you're friends with them, it would probably be alright to ask them a bit about their personal experience with their gender (but do it from the perspective of wanting to get to know them, not of wanting to learn about nonbinary genders in general; if you want to learn about nonbinary genders in general, google it or ask questions on here). If you're unsure whether it's okay to ask a question, just ask yourself "would it be rude to ask a cis person this?" e.g. don't ask about their genitals or other body parts, don't ask what their birth name was, etc.