1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitation (Hormones)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Mar 26, 2016.

1. H20

H20

So I have an opportunity to begin HRT within a few weeks/months because my therapist is willing to right the necessary letter although my mom does want me to wait a few sessions first. (The therapist I have doesn't require a certain length of time or for me to be 18 yet as long as they determine I'm ready.)

While I tell everyone and portray myself as certainly ready for testosterone, suddenly some doubts have clouded my mind and I can't tell if it's just the jitters or not. I've researched it although I could probably still learn some more, but I'm aware of the risks and the effects, though if I'm honest I'm most concerned with the hair growth. I'm already a hairy person and I'm worried about becoming even hairier and while I do want facial hair, part of me likes my baby smooth face right now. I think since acknowledging myself as trans I've felt better about my facial appearance - just not my body yet.

I'm also concerned about my weight. I am overweight and while I have already lost nearly 30lbs/14kg I'm still obease. I've considered maybe it's better for me to lose some more weight first? Do you think that would probably be best or if it should matter or not?

And while my mom said she would give me permission and that she doesn't have a problem with me medically transitioning, I still get the vibe she's not completely okay with it, and wonder if I should wait longer. She might think I'm rushing into this but I feel like while there are some things I'm not looking forward to that this is without a doubt something I want and need in order to feel better about myself: it's just a matter of whether or not this is the right time to do so.

Sorry, I know I've got a lot of questions, but I'd really appreciate second opinons and/or insight from others.

2. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would go for it. You're probably just thinking too much. See, I'm MTF transgender, and I'd love to begin HRT now. Worrying doesn't really help when you know you're going to take the step sooner or later. Good luck with your medical transition, and have a nice day! :slight_smile:

3. AaronV

Nobody can predict how T is going to affect your body. I was also quite hairy to begin with and did not care much for additional body hair. While I got more, it was moderate and you get used to it. It's not like you're going to wake up one days with a rug of hair on your back. :grin: I was actually kinda surprised and maybe even annoyed when I saw hair growing on my belly, but now I am quite fond of it. :grin:
    I'm also overweight and surprisingly didn't gain anything while going on T, on the contrary, I lost weight. I think most people start gaining weight because of the increased appetite. If you continue to eat and exercise like you did before, you should be fine.

You say yourself that you know you want to do it. Why wait? You're just going to find reason after reason why you shouldn't start HRT if you keep overthinking this. :slight_smile:

4. H20

H20

Thanks Dingdang and AaronV! Your words are really appreciative and helpful. I'm going to go through with it and hope I can keep this mindset a few more weeks until I see my therapist again. (!)

5. Mr Spock

I would also like to add that although your mom may not like to see you change, your change may actually help convince her more that becoming trans* was right for you.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the subject of weight gain, this might not happen for you. Many people on T said they lost weight. I think most of the weight I gained was in muscle. Unless you have serious health issues or you're morbidly obese (in that it's dangerously bad for your health), then I wouldn't worry abpout loasing weight--especially if your blood work is fine.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    T can help you lose fat, can't it? You'll burn energy easier, I believe (though you'll have a bigger appetite too, I think). So you'll likely switch out a lot of fat for muscle if you keep eating healthy and exercise, I think.

To me, it sounds mostly like the jitters. It's still going to take a little while longer for me to start HRT, but I still have the jitters. I also wondered whether it was that or wasn't, but I think it is.

Anyway, best of luck to you, my friend! (*hug*)

#7 Invidia, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the person. I've heard of people losing 10+ pounds or gaining 10+ pounds, which I say most of it would be in muscle. A transguy I followed claims to have gained 40 pounds within six months, and it was all in muscle doing what he normally did as a performer. I also think some of the weight gain for me could be attributed emotional eating and thyroid issues.

But yeah, I think the OTP might have some anxiety jitters, which is fine and normal.