1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling alone

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by adamisaloser, Mar 27, 2016.

1. adamisaloser

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm a recently out trans guy at college. I'm a member and soon to be leader of the LGBTQ+ society. Everyone there is great the only problem is I feel really alone. I feel like no one really gets me and I have no other trans guys to talk to. I don't know how to get advice for any of my problems.
    Any advice?
    Thanks

2. Mr Spock

Well, if you are looking for friends in your area I would start by looking for the nearest LGBT center in your area. You say you are already a member of a LGBT group, maybe you should consider looking at a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance)? There are numerous websites out there to help gay colleagues and gay churchgoers find each other, you should maybe search stuff on google. I've found that by finding the gay community in my area I've found the trans community, because they all hang out in one LGBT glob. You could also look up events that you think you might find members of the community at. Just remember that you need to have more in common with your friends than just being trans*.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Alex said.

Though what you describe is not an uncommon feeling - that nobody "gets" you. I for one can say I feel and always have felt the same. But it doesn't have to be that way. I'm sure you can find someone if you look in the right places and really want to find that connection. And who knows, sometimes you find friends in the unlikeliest of places. Friends don't necessarily have to have everything in common, they just need to "complete" the other person in some way.

If you need advice specifically for trans* issues, go to places online or in person which have the people and resources to meet that need. It looks like you've already started on that one. If you're looking to belong and find a friend, you'll have to extend yourself farther and not be afraid to touch and be touched by others. Be you, love deeply, and take risks. It's the only way but it'll pay, one day.