1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A doubting mother

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bluebox, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Bluebox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So my mum has let me worn "boyish" clothes (superhero t-shirts and jeans) in the past but I want to wear more manly clothes which I've brought recently. She wasn't happy when I did but she didn't argue with me she just tried to reason with me that I'm trying to be trans gender to solve problems in my life (which isn't true), that I'm confused (which is false) and that because I'm a tomboy she thinks I'm trying to express more of my tomboy side.

I also showed her a letter I wrote that has reasons why I'm transgender which I couldn't say to her in person but after I showed her she still doubted who I am.

The only good thing that came out of the letter was that she said that I needed help so at least I have a bit of her support in that but how could I have her full support without harming our relationship? :tantrum:

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2016 at 09:58 PM ----------

Sorry but also whenever my mother asks me questions about why do I want to change? I see you as a girl and all that other stuff she starts to make me question who I am. But the think is I know who I am but once she questions me i start to question if I'm making the right decision

2. Irisviel

There's not much you can actively do I suppose besides being firm in your stance... but at the same time, being gentle enough to not be seen as ageessive. Basically, she needs time and your confidence in who you are. If she asks, be honest in your answers but also try to make them sound like you cared that she understands. Patience and confidence combined with non aggressive reasoning.

I suppose this is one way to try and convince her - show her through action how important it is to you, while trying to be patient instead of aggressive.

3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I'm sorry that your mom told you these things, but she may be confused because you are changing whom you are in her eyes. Your mom thought you were going to be the girl she would do activities like shopping and getting nails done with and you are changing and she is probably confused. Your mom doesn't seem like she is mad at you, just... confused. Many people are don't know what to expect. The media throws stereotypes at people who aren't considered "normal". I have a non-understanding mother about mental illness. She believes that social anxiety is just "extreme shyness" even after three years of me being in therapy.

Maybe print her some resources about what it's like to be transgender and what it is, and also some sheets about stereotypes with what is actually true.

Also, make sure you don't tell her that you aren't transgender if an argument was to come up and you didn't want to fight. Then she will believe all the stereotypes.

Anyways, I have a non-understanding mother too, just about other issues. I haven't come out yet. Hope you are doing okay and your mom understand you :slight_smile:.