1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal stuff to wear for passing as male?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by intherye, Mar 30, 2016.

1. intherye

So this all sounds like stuff I should just figure out by myself but I'm sure some of you guys have had a lot of practise at this so I may as well as for advice. :icon_bigg
    I've noticed mens hoodies tend to have thicker drawstrings and mine has thin ones. Is this the kind of thing cis people actually notice? So, hoodie or men's bomber jacket?
    Are skinny jeans bad? I read somewhere that when the pants area sags it's a giveaway though I don't really see why as I swear I've seen men with saggy pants.
    Hood of hoodie or beanie? I need one of them since I still have long hair so I need to stuff it inside it (this makes it sound like I'd never pass, I figured out how to make a fake fringe thing and it actually looks relatively convincing).
    Am I correct that packers don't matter much because no one's going to look at your junk? (Also, if I don't pass but have a packer people might get really confused so I'll just avoid that :dry: )
    I think that's it, and thanks :slight_smile:

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're honestly thinking way too much into this, stop stressing, take a breath and remember that people probably aren't going to notice what you're wearing. The only time people have commented on my clothes is when they see something they like. They don't notice whether I'm wearing a pair of jeans from the womens section or the mens even though they look really different. Wear the clothes that make you feel most comfortable in and that you believe look most masculine -if that's what you're going for- because it's different for everyone depending on height, weight, race, etc.

If you really want advice though I'll try and help keep your mind at rest. Hoodies come with thick or thin drawstrings. Unisex hoodies can have either and my sister has one from the womens section which has thick ones. That really isn't a big thing.

Skinny jeans it's advised that trans guys stay away from, only because of the shape of our body certain parts that we might not want to draw attention to are having attention drawn to them. I know transguys who pass perfectly in skinny jeans though. Personally I go for the stretch skinny or slim from the guys section (the former is only because I'm really small and they're not skin tight on me at all). Nah the sag isn't so bad, just gets jeans that fit. It actally makes me feel a lot more comfortable about myself having it more baggy around the croth and sometimes lessens my bottom dysphoria.

I'd go beanie if you've still got long hair. It's likely to keep it in place whereas with a hoodie it might fall out and you'd have to keep fixing it. You could wear a hood too. Switch it up.

Packers are really more to help with dysphoria and the trans person themself rather than help with passing. They're really going to make no difference to any person that's looking down there and, like you said, absolutely no one is going to be looking there to 'check if they can see anything' that's just not a thing that happens. So don't stress about that.

Hope that cleared up some things.

3. intherye

Yes you're right, I'm certainly overthinking it :dry: But I still want to make sure so thank you! This helps a lot :icon_bigg Also, good to know the real purpose of packers. Thanks :slight_smile:

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second what's already been said. People usually don't consciously notice whether you're wearing something from the men's or women's section if the clothing is fairly gender-neutral and doesn't scream out any obvious stereotypical gender expression. They might notice how it looks, but generally I find people just aren't that aware. Don't worry about it too much and just wear what's comfortable and best for you, and clothing that might help you be read as male more often.

I personally have never noticed the thing about drawstrings; hoodies tend to be rather unisex and I've worn both "men's" and "women's" hoodies out before and it didn't make much difference. I usually wear darker hoodies though - somehow that might make a little difference but it's probably just my personal preference.

Skinny jeans can accentuate your body in ways you might not want them to, though there are trans guys who can pull them off perfectly as well. If you don't like too baggy jeans just go for ones that are slimmer in the men's department which is what I do. Also, some days I do wear the old black skinny jeans I have from the women's department because I like them, and I doubt anyone pays any notice to me. It does highlight parts of my body I probably don't want to highlight but honestly, if that day I just wanted to wear it, I would. There's nothing I'm "supposed to" or "not supposed to" wear, I just what makes me feel the most comfortable and serves the purpose I want it to serve. Try not to stress about it too much :slight_smile:

If you have long hair beanie will probably work. I mean you can hide long hair in a hoodie but it'll probably look like you tied your long hair back. Beanie might be better to hide it, especially if you figured out a fake fringe thing that works.

Packers really don't matter that much because most of the time we can't see cis guy's junk when they're walking down the street. Men's jeans tend to have enough space down there for cis guys to wear them and move comfortably without anyone seeing much of anything. People, on a daily routine basis, really don't tend to look down there. I pack for myself because it makes me feel better (and you can definitely do so too), but I don't do it at school for the reason you mentioned - I'm fairly cautious about what might happen if I sit down and my classmates, all of whom see me and treat me as female, see something there (though once again, people tend to overlook what doesn't fit into their general ~image~ and probably brush it off as something else). I do sometimes pack when I go out on my own though.

Wear what's most comfortable for you. Confidence is the best way to go. Shop in the boy's or men's department for clothing that might help you be read as male better, but if you find something you love in the women's department it's not like you're not allowed to wear them. Some stuff there are rather gender-neutral too. Find what works and have fun experimenting around - it's a process! I've found a few outfits that work best for me over time, and you can too (*hug*)

#4 Alder, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. intherye

Thank you, this was really helpful and comforting :icon_bigg I will officially be more chill about this now :dry: (*hug*)

6. FreeFlow9917

Just wear something that you are comfortable wearing. Other guys will not often care about what clothes you wear (most of the time). Just be you