1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get a binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by espringleafe, Apr 1, 2016.

1. espringleafe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So hi. I'm young and still living with my parents. I haven't completely come out to them, and I don't have a credit card. So I can't buy my own real binder, and a sports bra doesn't work :bang: even though it's not even the price that I'm worried about. But my dysphoria gets really bad, and I need one soon, I feel like I'm dying. :help: Please any suggestions for making a binder out of common materials, or some other solutions?? Thanks!

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #2 Hawk, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wanted to add, I just realized you'll need to buy one thing before being able to receive the second binder from point 5cc.

Hudson's Resource Guide also has some great tips about binding and some things you can bind with.

4. espringleafe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The only problem is that I can't get the binder delivered to the door, (weird questions and such) but these resources give me some good ideas on who to ask / other ways other than binders. Thank you both so much! (*hug*)

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there any friends you are out to? You could ask a friend with open-minded parents if it could be shipped to their house if you try a binder giveaway program, or you could even ask if they could buy one and you could pay them back in cash (if you have the money).

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of these things ship discreetly. The only time I ordered a binder and got questioned, it came from LesLoveBoat and their LGBT proud labels were on the package, and my dad was really getting concerned I was a lesbian. Of course, I was at an age where I was shopping online a lot.

If you're old enough to work, get a job and open a bank account to "learn about responsible saving and spending" - that money is yours, and after a few weeks your parents will expect you to be making a few purchases in stores and online. If you're young enough to still get allowance money or money for chores/odd jobs, you can take what you've got and get one of those credit card gift cards. Just say you want to buy a few things online - then order a few things from Amazon. And yes, you can find binders there. Amazon always ships discreetly, so there's no worries no matter what you buy. Get a t-shirt, a book, a binder...and when the binder comes it will be one of a few packages expected and it won't seem out of place.

Just avoid cheap binders. They'll wear out fast with every day use because they're only made for cosplay, and they can hurt your ribs - meaning you won't be able to bind any more and you might not be able to get top surgery someday, if you decide it's something that you need down the line.

Be careful if you go the DIY route. Never ever ever ever EVER ever use tape, or ACE bandages - I used the bandages for months and could never breathe, but at least I was flat, right? :eusa_naug It isn't worth the risks!!! There's tutorials online for DIY binders, some of which are better than others. Just use your head - it needs to flatten you out, but have some stretch and be breathable too, or you'll hurt yourself.

More than anything else - watch out if you feel a need to lie to your parents. They'll know. They can tell. They'll be hurt. I'm not saying come out in the open, trailing rainbows; not if you're not ready or you don't feel safe. I'm just saying, I'm still trying to mend years and years of omissions, half-truths, and full blown lies - and it's the worst. When you do come out, you want them to take you seriously. Don't jeopardize getting them on your side if you can help it.