1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is worse?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Michael, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious about your experiences, so what would you say it's worse : Mothers with transboys, or fathers with transgirls?

I mean who has the worst reactions.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to guess I would say fathers with transgirls. Because of all those stupid social expectations of DMABs especially, fathers would likely be at least confused, possibly worse.

I'm just speaking from personal experience though- I have a fantastic relationship with my mom. She took things well, even if it took time to get used to it.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all depends on the parents honestly. As a very general overview though I think transgirls have it worse because there's a higher societial expectation for boys to be 'manly' than for girls to be 'girly'. Its getting better but its still there. I think that dads, depending on how traditional and conservative they are, will have a harder time thinking of their 'son' as being their daughter. But mums sometimes find it difficult to 'let go of their little girl' with transguys. Depends on the individual. (That was a really poorly worded post, I'm really sorry if I offended anyone).

Personally my mum accepted me right away and is fine with me, even though we've always had a rocky relationship. My dads the one that has a bit of a problem with it.

#3 Aberrance, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Comparable, but different in nature. Depends what you view as worse: straight on attack or "You're hurting me and don't love me!"

5. iiimee

Fathers in general have a harder time accepting their kids: My dad loves me, but he gets confused a lot of the time. XD He wishes I chose the name "Lee" instead of "Chase" because Lee's my middle name. Still, it's a generalization. I know some dads who take those things so much better than mothers. Luckily for me, both my parents are supportive... One just a little more than the other...

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would think the fathers, wither it be fathers towards trans women or towards trans men.
    Because if my dad ever finds out that I am a trans guy his reaction would not be healthy.

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fathers tend to have higher expectations for masculinity from their "sons", so fathers of trans girls tend to have the more negative reactions. That's certainly not to say that there aren't mothers who have extremely high expectations for femininity from their "daughters", or fathers who respond really well to their trans daughters coming out, but the societal pressure for men to raise masculine sons is generally higher.

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fathers tend to have higher expectations for masculinity from their "sons", so fathers of trans girls tend to have the more negative reactions. That's certainly not to say that there aren't mothers who have extremely high expectations for femininity from their "daughters", or fathers who respond really well to their trans daughters coming out, but the societal pressure for men to raise masculine sons is generally higher.

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To repeat what other posters said, I definitely think fathers are tougher for either trans boys or trans girls. It's a generalization of course, but a valid one.

My dad was not happy about it, at least. In his eyes, I have always been the naive princess who must be sheltered and guided at all costs. I admire the sentiment on his and my mother's part, but it just goes to show - sadly - how little they know me. I think other fathers may have similar difficulty in letting go of whom they believed to be their little princess. Not to mention the already complicated mess of father-son relationships and how that's supposed to work with a "new" transgender son.

Mothers, whilst stereotypically more emotional, can offer a comforting (or neurotic) presence, depending on how they accept their trans child. My mom was a hell of a lot more accepting than I thought she would be, and if not for such blatant rejection from my dad, she may have eventually come around. Thought generally, since mothers are usually the ones who spend more time with the kid, they can be a powerful tool for good or ill.

Really depends in the parents in question. Simply, I would guess that the hardest is for trans-girls and dad, then trans-boys and dad, then trans-girls and mom, then trans-boys and mom.