1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First haircut advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by intherye, Apr 3, 2016.

1. intherye

I'm largely making this post to convince myself I'll actually get the courage to ask my parents for a haircut :dry: but I guess I do have some questions. So my hair is now about shoulder length.
    If the hairdresser thinks I'm a girl, which they undoubtedly will, is it true they'll automatically give me a more feminine hairstyle?
    Is the only way to prevent this by explicitly saying I want it to look like a boy's? Because god that sounds awkward.
    Have any of you tried the whole 'I'm acting a boy in the school play so I have to look male' trick? It sounds really unconvincing but I'm willing to be proven otherwise.
    Has anyone here's dysphoria actually gotten worse after getting a really feminine haircut but accident? I'm gonna go for a longer men's haircut, because I'm scared and because I've heard it's better for passing, and the hairdresser could so easily turn it into some kind of weird short, very girly bob thing. This fear is the main reason I've been delaying getting it cut.
    Alright, thanks :slight_smile:

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you could find a picture of a woman with a haircut that looks like the one you want. The hairdresser will try to make it look like the picture, even if it is a more masculine-looking haircut, and the picture will be proof that a girl can have that haircut.

3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. What I did was I showed a picture I found on the internet that looks unisex (that's my goal) and the hairdresser did just that. I really like it and my family does too. Also, many people say it's androgynous, which is what I'm going for, so maybe something like this will work for you? Hope this helps :slight_smile:.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've asked a hairdresser at a salon SPECIFICALLY for a masculine cut. I said masculine cut/boys cut many times and she still gave me a feminine haircut AND charged me the price of a womens cut (£30). Honestly if you go into a salon and get it cut there you'll probably end up with a feminine cut. Not necessarily because they read you as female but because in salons they're used to cutting womens hair, not mens.

I can assure you that getting any shorter cut should ease your dysphoria somewhat. I'm unfortunate that the first ever cut I got from shoudler length to 'short' the hairdresser refused to do because she said that 'my hair was too curly to cut really short and it would just go frizzy' so she left it reasonably long on the sides and it looked bloody awful. I basically had a breakdown and went to get it redone somewhere else the next day. As long as you're adamant that you want it that short, that style and you tell them exactly what you want them to do. You'll be absolutely fine. You're paying, you should get what you want.

You don't have to give them any explanation as to why you want it like that. Just show them the style that you want, that might give them a better indication. If you find it more comfortable to show then find a picture of a woman's hair but there's the chance that that might cause them to make it more feminine. I'd say just show them the exact picture you want, if you can find one, be that a picture of a guy or a girl. It's better to go through 30 minutes of awkwardness and be happy with it than to hate it for the next 2 months and it make you more dysphoric.

#4 Aberrance, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  5. Mr Spock

I said I wanted a pixie the first time, now I say androgynous because my mom won't let me get it as short as I want. The hairdresser sympathizes with me and does a great job.

6. AngelDragonfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say just go for a very blunt short cut that could pass for either gender.Or bring in a pic of a male model with a haircut you want and just say, "this is the hairstyle I want, but I can't seem to find it on a woman. Can I try this?" It'll probably go over smoothly and without embarrassment. Do what you want, though.Best of luck!(*hug*)(&&&):thumbsup:

#6 AngelDragonfly, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    TBH, if you bring in a picture of a man's haircut the hairdresser probably won't even ask. Just bring in a picture on your phone or w/e and say that's what you'll want and they'll do it, esp. if you go to someone younger and not like 50 years old. Plus, 30 yr/olds do hair better anyway.

8. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would go for a more androgynous look first and gradually transition from there.

From personal experience, I know this step is actually quite easy. I simply asked my parents if I could let my hair grow out (as I'm MTF), and they said it was okay as long as I go periodically to get it trimmed. For you, it might be more difficult, but I would recommend that you get it done soon. The longer you wait, the longer your parents can become too used to your long hair. This is to be avoided if possible, so essentially, tell them earlier. And if they ask why, just come out to them right there. It's easier to come out early while responding to a question than to come out later by saying something out of the blue.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. :icon_bigg

9. Delta

My advice is: don't settle. Don't get a safer version of the haircut. Even if it means insisting the hairdresser keep going shorter even when they protest.

That said, be conscious of how your hair dries. My hair is curly, so looks shorter when I get home than when it's wet and combed straight for a haircut. My other half has stick straight hair that stands out and looks longer than the actual length. Just think about the specific way you want it.

And then assertively request that, and only that. and if met with protest you can say something along the lines of "no, this is already the plan", "it's not up for debate anymore", "I've already thought about it", or " I know what I want." If you settle, you'll be unhappy with the results -and- stressed from the experience. If you get the haircut you want, even if you're stressed by the experience, at least you have the change the way you wanted it. Treat your hairdressers kindly and tip them afterwards, but understand that they really are getting that money to provide you with a service, and you should be able to request that they do their jobs. Providing people with haircuts they like having is what they went to cosmetology school for, they need to be ready to do the job they trained for, within their ability.

Also, you might even consider going to a barbershop. If they don't provide "women's" haircuts, then they can't really give you one. :slight_smile: I have one in my hometown run by a trans guy, so I know it's a great place to go get gender nonconforming haircuts worry free. Find someone like that or someone open minded or at least not pushy.

10. middleageguy

Bring a picture of the haircut you want to a Barber Shop. Not a Salon. Be brave! I'm decades older and a salon stylist refused to cut my hair short as I wanted it.

11. intherye

Wow thank you everyone for your advice! (Sorry for making this post resurface, I couldn't replt earlier because I was on a family holiday without internet D: ). Abberance, thanks for all your advice, especially that any shorter cut will probably be better, that's a relief :grin: True, the awkwardness will (should) be worth it.
    Dingdang, that's funny, I always kind of thought hair would be more difficult for mtfs than ftms for some reason! Yeah, that's true. I think I won't come out at this stage though, because I'm not sure my parents will take it well, so I kind of want to be certain what I even am before I have to tell them. But thank you!
    Delta, thanks, I will try to be insistent, there's always the worry that I get really nervous and don't speak the whole time, but you're right so I'll try not to. Also, super jealous there's a barber near you who's trans, that would kind of solve the whole issue! :grin:
    Also, thanks everyone else :grin: Sadly, going to a barber isn't an option, because I honestly don't know how I'd explain that to my parents. The hairdresser I went to as a kid is unisex and my brother goes there, so *hopefully* that'll be almost as good.

12. ashleysummer

ashleysummer Guest

I like these haircuts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Choose the one you like and take the photo with you. You can look for other cute solutions on therighthairstyles.com