1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if I am making it up for attention?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately I have been feeling more and more confident that I am transgender, but for whatever reason this last week as seen feeling doubt.

I still see a guy in the mirror and I still thinking about the day I can transitioning. Yet I begin to wonder if I am doing it for attention or to spice up my life.

If its for attention than I failing. I don't talk about it to those around me in real life. In fact the only place I do talk about it is on here.

Certainly my goals in life seem to be more interesting (and frightening) since I accepted myself as trans. I think about transitioning non-stop and can only imagine myself as guy in the future. In my imaginings of the future I'm always at school or trying to break into my career choice, and I'm usually in a city and not my small town.
    So I wonder if I am doing this to make my life more interesting, or has accepting myself as trans allowed me to want more out of my life?

I don't wish to transition if I am doing it for the wrong reasons or regret it.

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not alone in feeling doubt, and I often had the same doubt (though it was more in the realm of me questioning my sexuality, but I've had it in regards to being trans too).

All I can say is, whether or not you might be "doing it for attention" (and really, I'm pretty damn confident you're not - don't think any cis person would seriously consider all the leaps of transitioning, both socially and physically, simply for attention or excitement. They'd experience enough dysphoria and unhappiness going in a direction that conflicts with their gender anyhow.) - whether or not, it doesn't really matter.
    I've learned to just give my doubts the benefit of the doubt, if that makes sense. Who cares if they're true or not, even if they probably aren't, usually I have just learned to let them be there and let them go. No longer my problem to argue with them to the point of ultimate conclusion, because often, these kinds of worries don't really have that. They just happen to drift in and out and bother us, often without much real rationality. I try to focus more on what I want and what makes me feel better, now and in the long run, irregardless of what everything might mean or why anything is the way it is.

If life does look more exciting in the realm of transitioning physically and socially as male, it's probably because you are a guy and that's the right direction for you, not because it gains attention and is something exciting to spice up your life. Once again, I doubt a cis girl will think about being male, transitioning physically and socially, and navigating life as a guy and feel much happier and better that way gender and bodywise.

Accepting yourself as who you are and imagining living as who you want to live as is probably the reason behind some aspects of your future life feeling better, more exciting and fulfillng. You can only imagine yourself as a guy in the future. You think about transitioning all the time. Accepting yourself has led to you envisioning a better life, in many ways. Those are all pretty strong signs you're trans.

I can't completely counter your doubt to absolute certainty nor can I ever do my own. All I can say is it's normal for those doubts to come and go, and it's best to focus less on them and more in exploring what feels right for you, figuring out what you want and going after the things that make you/your life/your body feel better in the long run.
    I guess it's never that simple, but don't worry too much about this. If you still have genuine fears, maybe talking to a good gender therapist could help too. But honestly, I don't think this is something to stress too much about. Just one guy's personal views on this to another. Cheers and take it easy (*hug*)

#2 Alder, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think if you were just doing it for attention you'd get bored of it within a week and forget about it. But obviously this is something quite consuming for you. From an outside, objective perspective, I'll say that attention is not likely a dominant or prominent motive. That being said, I myself am a queen of doubting myself, be that about my gender or anything else. It's an effect of the vast stores of anxiety inside me. Trying to counter-act anxiety can be a good way to proactively diminish the hold your doubts have over you.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, you're not.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone.

6. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I had this thought a few days ago. Like, what if I am not non-binary, and am a female? This was because I really like hanging with female people and they make me feel more feminine, which makes me doubt myself. Like, for an example, someone I know sometimes sits near me that I can smell their hair, and it smells really nice and soapy, and I want to smell it and touch it. But it's not appropriate, and makes me wonder if it is a masculine thing to think about? I feel it's completely feminine. And if I was androgyne, I wouldn't feel more on one side than another, so this makes me not androgyne. But I know I am, but there is this doubt the back of my mind that tells me I'm not. Anyways, I hope you realize that trans people do experience probably more than you think. Hope this helps :slight_smile:.