1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confidence and transtition... anyone relate?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Invidia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Sometimes I feel like... I'd rather transition but I don't know if I have what it takes. It seems to require a lot of confidence and courage (of which I have none). I also don't have any self-esteem... On good days I feel like "yeah, let's do this", but then I become all self-conscious and super negative about everything... :/

2. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I will not be medically transitioning. But I have problems in confidence about my non-binary gender identity. Like, I don't think anyone at my school (or at least my friends) know what a non-binary gender is. So I am scared about this, when I come out to them anyways.

3. randomconnorcon

In terms of medically transitioning, I have all the courage in the world because it's either take hormones or just don't live. And I don't mean literally not living, though depression doesn't help with that, I just mean going through the motions until my life eventually ends. That terrifies me more than transitioning ever will, because I want to see the world and write books and make friends and get stuck in places I've never been and all that shit that you can look back on and say yeah I had a good life.

The things I lack confidence in is sharing my thoughts and needs with others. I'm fiercely independent, grew up with this idea that I had to do it all myself; it's gotten to the point where I can't even ask my parents for help because I don't want to burden them. I'm terrified of not getting the answer I need or not getting their support, despite the buckets of evidence showing me that I always have had them in my corner. It's a hard thing to break, but I'm trying.

4. ThatOneAlien

I can definitely relate to that, I've always cared way too much about what other people think of me and while I really want to transition, I do worry if I'll be able to handle the judgement I will get from other people. I'm too nervous to even correct people on my pronouns most of the time. However, I have become somewhat more confident since I started presenting more masculine, changed my name, etc. It helps me to think about how far I have already come, and how much happier I will be with my life if I go through with transitioning. Also, I have already spent 20 years doing whatever other people wanted, so at this point I'm feeling pretty over it and ready to lead my own life.