1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgyne vs agender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chinaski, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for starting yet another thread but I have a question. I hope that's not annoying.

I'm not exactly sure about my gender. I know I'm non-binary but I don't exactly know what kind of non-binary. I know that's difficult for anyone else to figure out for me but I'm wondering whether or not it's "normal" for agender people to feel masculine and/or feminine sometimes...? I'm AFAB and a lot of the time I don't really think I feel like a woman or a man. However, there are moments when I feel distinctly more masculine or feminine. It's really difficult to explain. I feel masculine more often than I feel feminine but I do feel feminine sometimes (10 minutes ago for example). I'm starting to think that maybe I might be androgyne and not agender. I'm completely sure I don't fully feel like man or woman and most of the time I'm not sure I feel like anything, but sometimes I think I'm some kind of mixture of both.

Any thoughts?

2. YinYang

This sounds exactly like me. Exactly. I mostly feel completely disconnected from gender, but there are some times when I feel either masculine or feminine, and I feel masculine more often than feminine. I've heard that being called agenderflux, but I personally identify with agender a little bit better. To be honest, it could be either agender, or agenderflux, or androgyne. It's up to you to figure out which label you identify with more. And if you don't identify with any label, that's completely fine, too. Gender is fluid and different for everyone.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agender people can technically feel or express themselves masculine or feminine. The difference is they don't identify with men or women, exactly, since agender basically means the absence of a gender.

Androgyne would mean feeling both male and female at once (or two other genders, I've read, but that's the most common example). It doesn't necessarily mean 50/50, though many people think of it that way, for simplification.

Androgyne would be both, whereas agender would be neither/none.

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyyo, I'm agender but hyper femme so not at all androgyne. Gravechild is right with their definition of agender, for most people. But andryogyne tends to play out more as still not having a gender, but also having the androgynous appearance to go along with it. It's essentially just more icing on the cake, from what my androgyne friends have told me. It's just a different way of presenting.

5. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to express myself androgynously and I feel masculine quite often (and sometimes feminine), but I don't fully identify as either man or woman. It's confusing and quite complicated.

6. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. We have talked before, and I'm androgyne, so I can answer this side of things. With androgyne, you feel simultaneously male and female, but other times you don't care. Most of the time I feel like both but I'll get an occasional day where I'm like, "I'm me, not a gender". Agender is more where you don't feel any sort of gender. I don't know what else to say. I consider myself a mascandrogyne though, which means I'm not exactly 50/50 male/female, but more male or masculine than female. Like, I'm 60/40 split. I like my feminine side without being defined as female. Hope this helps :slight_smile:.