1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would taking T be worth it?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Delta, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Delta

I'm non-binary, and I've been back and forth on what I want to do about physically making my body more androgynous, since I definitely look female right now. I've been thinking a lot about tesosterone, but I know I don't want the entire package of effects it brings. I'm just not sure. I know I can't pick and choose what effects testosterone will have, but I'm going to lay out what's making it a hard choice for me.

Things I want:
    • Lower voice– maybe not a baritone, but anything but the soprano I'm currently packing.
    • Facial/Body hair– I'd love it if I could have a beard and more body hair than I presently have. I'm pretty hairless outside the scalp and crotch areas, I'd like a treasure trail and some actually visible leg hair.
    • Fat redistribution– My butt is so freaking round. If some of that fat could move elsewhere, that would be nice.
    • Increased muscle mass–Who wants to have these floppy little noodle arms?
    • Increased sex drive– I have a gorgeous girlfriend and currently it's kind of in the dumps anyway.

Things I do not want:
    • Clitoral growth– I'm currently at peace with my genitals. They look nice enough, they work well, my girlfriend likes them. I'm afraid to change things down there, especially irreversibly. What if acquiring a macro-clit makes me hate my parts?
    • Face Stubble- I'd rather my beard was tamable enough that I don't have to shave every single day to stay decently smooth.
    • Breast Atrophy–Hey, I'm still using those, don't take them away!
    • Body odor changes– Guys are great, but dear Lord testosterone can make them reek. I wish to not reek.
    • Anything that would interfere with someday getting pregnant or having children– This is a major life goal of mine. I won't jeopardize such an important part of my plans even for bodily comfort.

Are there any good options for me? I've thought about taking it low-dose, just for a while, but a lot of the changes that I don't want take place before changes that I do want, so I'm uncertain. Does anyone else have experience with this? Advice? :help:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    T affects everyone differently, even on a low dose, so there's no telling what will or won't happen when.

Of the ones that worry you, body hair and smells are the easiest to manage and control; if you shave/trim your hair, shower regularly, and change deodorants and/or body washes. TMI, but I've always been a somewhat smelly dude, and finding something that works was always somewhat of a challenge--but I eventually found something great at a Rite Aid of all places. It can be super gross and a pain in the ass, but it's not that bad.

With facial hair, another thing is to remember your genetics will play a big role in how things will affect you. Are people in your family really hairy? If not, you might not have to worry about that--since some people who take testosterone are on it for years and can't grow a beard to save their lives. I'm 14 months on, and I still have really light hair whereas my partner has been on T for the same length of time and has an amazing beard.

The hardest ones to manage are obviously the ones you have no control over; like growth, chest changes (which I would say would happen slowly over time and not super quick), and potential infertility. The last one, I would say, would be the toughest to deal with--since the process of harvesting eggs is very expensive (especially if you've been on T for a long time and your cycle stopped, since you'll have to stop and be on other hormones to kick it back into action) and time consuming.

I would say if the cons really worry you, then you should give yourself time to ask yourself if it's something worth exploring. For me, I feel that starting T was past the point of no return for me, since I kept in mind that unexpected changes could happen within the first week---and there would be no going back.

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing about T is you can get what you want, or what you don't, and you don't get to pick and choose. You can look at guys in your family and see how they turned out, but you still can't guarantee anything...maybe Uncle Bob was able to grow an amazing beard shortly after his voice dropped, but that doesn't indicate T will work the same magic on you. It effects everyone differently, so it's a literal grab bag of "masculine" traits.

That said, there are some things T just does...man odor is one of those things, unfortunately.

Also, body fat redistribution happens, but it's a bit of a misnomer - with T, new fat will grow on your belly instead of your butt and thighs, but the fat that's already on your butt and thighs won't go anywhere unless you work it off.

T is a major hormone, so it's really not good to go on and off it. It effects a lot of your systems, and can really alter your mood. The sort of mood changes that happen around your period happen because your estrogen and progesterone levels drop, and your testosterone levels spike. It's not like you'd have to take it forever once you started, but there have been cases where transguys need to have their ovaries out because their estrogen levels are fighting with their testosterone levels, causing a ton of other health effects. It isn't an inevitability, but hormone related health effects do creep up in some trans people over time if they keep their ovaries/testicles in tact.

It's hard for me to choose what to do when it comes to hormones myself. I can't stand my voice, and I wish I had more upper body strength, but how many people honestly want to deal with back hair and male pattern baldness? I feel like I have to wait to go on T until the pros outweigh the cons, or until the need becomes so present in me that it's the only clear choice. :\

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing on the stuff you don't want that is gonna be impossible to not have is the clit growth. That's one of the very first things that most people notice when they start T. However, facial hair doesn't typically start for 6 months-a year on a normal dose of T, and body odor doesn't change that much for most people. Also breast atrophy is more or lessly a myth, and only really is a thing years and years after starting T. Also, T doesn't affect your chances of getting pregnant. You could totally get pregnant even while on T, though it's not as likely.

5. GenderSciFi

Hey,
    I'm in a similar headspace when it comes to T. Like clockworkfox, I'm just biding my time and pondering and waiting for everything to suck enough that T feels like the best/only option for me. I don't know if that's very wise psychologically (to push away the decision until you're desperate and not make it when you're still feeling relatively sane, that is...), but what else to do? I guess I wouldn't go on T if you don't feel strongly that it's right, at least most of the time.
    Hey, good luck with your process!
    GenderSciFi

6. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to get pregnant later, do not go on testosterone. If you're on it for long enough, it'll kill your eggs (and your breasts). If you do go on it, and want to get pregnant later, you'll have to go off and you're more likely to miscarry or for your kids to have disorders.

If you're not okay with having all the side effects, I'd recommend you don't go on it until you do. You can work out to make your butt less round, or to get more muscular. You can train your voice to be lower--I was a soprano (was wasn't and isn't fully matured yet, female voices aren't set until they're about 30) and I changed into a tenor with practice. I'm sure there are things you can do about your sex drive too. I'd advise against it for you.