1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How some of yours finded the *perfect* name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AyaseKishimoto, Apr 7, 2016.

1. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I need some help to figure it out... btw my legal name is *Fabrizio* but when i was on my childhood i tried the find some opposite option and i select *Daniela* cause it's a name i like too much and it's an italian female name (my family ancestors are from Italy)... But i'm not sure at all about it, so i want to know ¿how did you select your name?... (*hug*) i want to know know about it, prove names and see if a female name suits me at all.

#1 AyaseKishimoto, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big fan of meanings of names. For example, Emma means "whole" or "universal" and Rowan means "little red-headed one."

I started with the ideas of what I wanted my name to mean and then looked for names to fit. I got really lucky because I'm a HUGE Emma Stone fan and, if there was a magic wand that could transform me into looking like her, I'd jump on that faster than I would on Justin Timberlake or Ryan Reynolds.

Much depends on your personality... I wanted a stereotypical feminine name that would send a clear signal that I'm a woman. Others want a more androgynous name because they fall elsewhere on the gender spectrum. It's such a personal decision that your approach will also be personal.

Ideas can be "stolen" from popular baby names from a particular decade, popular/favorite authors or characters (I really like Scout from "To Kill A Mockingbird" for an androgynous name), mythology and other various sources. Another suggestion is to read this thread: Opinion on Your Name. Lots of great ideas!

Hope this helps!

3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read a couple of baby name books (yes from cover to cover) but sometimes baby name websites are useful especially if you want a nature name or a jewel name or something, or if you know what letter you want. You could also look at characters from books/films/TV programmes or actors, musicians or other people behind the scenes.
    How'd You Pick Your Name? - Gender Discussion - Asexual Visibility and Education Network is also a good thread to check out.

4. AaronV

I had these criteria while choosing a new name:
    1. Shouldn't be too extraordinary but not too common
    2. Should be easy to spell and pronounce
    3. Easy to pronounce in both German, English and other European languages (I travel a lot and want to study in the USA and my birth name was really hard to pronounce for foreigners)
    4. No one in my group of friends and acquaintances should have the same name

In the end I chose Aaron, because it fit all the criteria and simply because I liked and still like it and has many different meanings. I basically just looked through different baby websites and all of my friends and family think I made a good decision. So far I haven't met another guy named Aaron over here in Germany, at least no one who is cis, although I do realize the name is much more common elsewhere. ^^

edit: On another note, I think you shouldn't pressure yourself to find the ~perfect name. If you like Daniela than go for it. There are so many names out there, I also had the feeling my choice had to be perfect and couldn't find a name for a long time. Nowadays there are a few names I would have maybe even preferred over Aaron, but the name just works for me.

#4 AaronV, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks to everyone who replay my question it is very very very helpful... I like the idea of having a deep meaning name... By the way Emma your reply make laugh a lot, you are so fun...

6. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a great response, Aaron. The search for perfection is often the same thing as the search for failure. You're never going to get "perfect." Maybe look for a name that makes you happy; rather than perfect. Daniela is a beautiful name, btw.

Also, just for giggles, here's an unsolicited picture of Ryan Reynolds. (!)
    [​IMG]

7. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah i learned that perfection doesn't exit cause i love drawing and if you want to draw something *perfect* it ends in an awfull way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but yeah thanks Aaron your way of think is interesting and very sane... And thanks Emma, when you say that Daniela is a beautiful name i started giggling like a schoolgirl haha... thanks lacybi too, you make a very good point... I'm very satisfied with the replies i've received and have a good day all of you.

8. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Casey-Robert Richard *last name will stay the same* I chose my names from those I admire the most. Hasn't become official, but just the names I wish I could have and want to be called.

Casey-Robert. I like having that be my first name cuz it sounds cool to me.

Casey because A: I feel it's almost both female and male, but can also make me feel more like a boy as well. B: Its the initials to my real first and middle name K-C (Get it?? XD lol) Ironically enough my parents told me that they tried to call me this before growing up but it never stuck. But now I really like it. XP

Robert. Because it's named for my two absolute favorite actors ever whom I also really admire Robert Downey Jr, and Rob Paulsen (voice actor). Both of these men are inspirational and amazing people whom I could go on another long essay about why and how they are amazing. But I do aspire to be like these men, not for the fame, but for who they are as human beings.

Richard. For the voice actor to my childhood hero an anime character Inu Yasha, Richard Cox. That character helped me get through a tough time growing up and I tried to be like him, strong and confident. I love his voice and some other characters that he's done, it just goes on.

So there can be many factors into choosing a name, I'm not sure if it's "perfect" but to me it means something to me. As long as it means something to you, then you can use it to your full desire. :slight_smile: Hope this helps as well. ^^

9. GenderSciFi

When I was looking for a name, mine just kept prodding my brain, "PICK ME, PICK ME", and I was like, "That's ridiculous, no" and tried out other male-coded names in my head until it was too annoying, because this name kept coming back, but I was so insecure about it... then I told a friend, and they said it's wonderful and fitting and all, and then I chose it, and then everybody else said it's great, except for my parents, who probably will always be a little heartbroken. If I was born a boy in their eyes, they would've called me Florian, which is just plain nasty :lol:

My criteria would be:
    a) no close friend/relative shares the name
    b) something that is legally recognized as a name in your country (although I've heard that in the US, there are no restrictions on that?)
    c) nothing too elaborate, long winded or kitschy, don't try too hard
    d) idk, names have a character, right? with mine, I have this mental image of an easy-going, trustworthy, funny and kind person, and that's what I want to be. I'm not into the deeper meaning of names, though.

Good luck :icon_bigg

10. Delta

I'm looking for a name right now. I want my mom to help me pick it. She wants it to have Irish and/or French roots. I want it to go well with my middle and last names and sound nice when said in the string with my two sisters' names, like I always heard it as a kid. Bonus points if it's slightly but not-exactly based off old relatives' names.

I know putting too much weight on others' opinions is bad for you, but it's important to me that my mom and my girlfriend like it. And so far there's been no success finding something that meets everyone's standards.

11. GenderSciFi

Good point, I should have taken that into consideration, too. Now my name sounds really weird when said together with my siblings' names :tears:

12. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Wolfgang, the name my grandparents had always wanted for a boy, but only had girls (including my mother :slight_smile:), after the composer Mozart who they really like. It has family significance as my great-grandfather was a music teacher during WW2. Also, I think the name Wolfgang is really cool and I like the meaning "path of the wolf".

Wolfgang just seemed to tick all the boxes for me.