1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POC specific queer terminology

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Delta, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Delta

I feel kind of funny about certain queer terms being only allowed to be used by people of color. Not things that are a part of someone's deep cultural history necessarily, like "two-spirit" for Native American people, but newer things, like "princex" which in a great, simple, easy to understand term for a gender neutral young royal, that actually has multiple sources of origin, but is only for Latin use, or boi that originated in POC spaces, but then diversified and is now being un-diversified again.

I don't want to take people's culture from them but, at the same time genderqueer people do not have a lot of good options on words and it's just kind of discouraging to be really resonating with an identity only to find that no, actually, you not only don't squarely belong in cis spaces or trans spaces, you're not allowed to belong in that genderqueer space either. I know I do have a lot of privilege and racial bias. I'm just trying to sort out what I really think, I guess.

What do you guys think about things like this?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, in all honesty my first thought was "Wait... is there a specific term for someone who is a royal and feels gender neutral?" There's got to be, like... how many royals in the world...? Some thousands? Meaning that this term shouldn't be applicable to more than a few hundred or dozen people...?!

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't heard of these terms used before, to be honest. The closest thing might be how Latinx or Chicanx is used, or "stud" for lesbians of color. This makes me think they aren't known of, outside of small circles, like tumblr?

Perhaps the issue is less the terms, themselves, and more feeling excluded from certain spaces. We have something similar, here, for queer poc folks. I do know that terms like "womanism" and "same gender loving" were first created as a response to feeling excluded from mainstream gay and feminist movements. This is probably similar.