1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to bindning. Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chinaski, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about bindning my chest lately. I've been unhappy with my chest for a long time but it's gotten even worse now. I think I might've felt differently if they were much smaller but they're not and I only find them annoying and in the way. They make me look like a woman, which I don't like. Every day when I see my breasts (when looking in the mirror, when showering etc.) I just think they look very out of place. It's like I don't feel like they belong to me. They're just hanging there. Do you know what I mean? The point is I don't like them.

Anyway, my breasts are large. Probably a D cup or something. I'm not sure (though I'm sure they're not smaller) because I hate going shopping for bras etc. Since my breasts are a dead giveaway of my assigned sex, which I don't like, I've been thinking about binding. However, I'm very new to the whole bindning thing and I don't know that much about it. This week I started using my sports bra every day (all day, except during the nights and during the evenings when I'm at home) and that's better than wearing a "normal bra", but my chest is still way too large for my liking. Way too large. Also, the sports bra I own gets a bit uncomfortable after a while; the left strap "cuts" into the skin on my shoulder and makes it all red. Planning on going to the city centre today to look for a new sports bra. I've heard I could try a size smaller than I'd normally get. Is that a good idea? Also, is it "safe" to wear sports bras pretty much all day (except when sleeping) every day?

I've been thinking about getting a real binder as well but, like I said, I'm new to this and I don't know that much about it. I've read that you're not supposed to bind with elastic bandages but that's pretty much it. Oh and it seems to be really difficult to get ahold of a binder in the country I live in so I'll probably have to order one online and I don't really know what the best option is. Googling this whole topic makes me overwhelmed because there's so much information out there and I don't know where to start. I'd rather hear from people who have experience with these things. Have you got any advice?

There are certain things I worry about when it comes to bindning. My biggest worry is that it'll disfigure my chest (and breasts) somehow. I worry that it'll all look really weird if I decide to someday stop binding. Is there any truth to that (both when it comes to "real binders" and sports bras)?

I should add that I don't think I want my chest to be completely flat (not sure though) because I don't identify as male (I'm either agender or androgyne, not sure about that either). I just want to look fairly androgynous. I don't want people to look at me and think "that's a woman, for sure".

Anyway, advice about binding would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Chinaski, I've been binding for about a year and my chest is only slightly flatter than it used to be, however I bind about 14 hours every day so maybe don't bind as much as that if you are worried. The only brand I have owned is called Underworks, and I'm a D aswell. The binders are good, they are pretty comfy and you can get full length ones that you can tuck into your pants or half ones that go just above your belly. If you wear one every day then it should last you about 8 months or more before it starts to fall apart. One problem I've had is posture, it can be a bit harder to put my shoulders back and walking long distances can get sore between my shoulders. Theres a video of some exercises you can do to help with those kinds of problems called: FTM fitness:Reduce the negative effects of binding FAST

#2 jaska, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  3. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate to the feeling of not liking the top half of my body, as with yours, mine are huge and it just sucks. I also don't really know if I want to get them off or not, I sort of am in the same boat as you where I don't think I want them off, and I also cant get a binder, as that would involve coming out to my parents which im not ready for, and I already know they wont understand and thinking that im just trying to go with "trends" and such, my parents are the type of people with the mentality of "if Ive never had that feeling or if its not talked about a lot, its bullshit"

So what ive been trying out is using longish cloth, like bandages to compress at the moment. it doesn't work perfectly, but it makes it so much better, gets it to a level that is at least hideable in most tops. I don't know if that's a good option, so I only really do it on some occasions. If I could get a binder, I really would recommend that rather than what I do, as its much safer. Unless I order online through someone, theres no where I can go in my city for one. It sucks.

Im around most of the time, so if you want to talk a little more, send me a message on my wall! I think ill be a full member in the near future, but that's going to be a while

4. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there Chinaski! I've been binding on and off for...quite a while now (several years!), so hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions.

It's safe to wear sports bras for extended periods of time - they don't compress as much as a binder does and work over a lot smaller of an area. Just make sure you get one that fits you - I've heard great things about Under Armour for compression sports bras. When I'm not binding, I wear sports bras all day and have often fallen asleep in them with no ill effect so far!

In terms of sizing, make sure you get the right band size - you don't want it digging into your ribs. Depending on the level of compression the bra offers, your usual cup size might be fine, but try a cup size down if you're not satisfied. Then it's just a matter of whether or not it's comfortable. :slight_smile:

Heavy binding over an extensive period of time can make breast tissue lose its elasticity and so alter the breast shape, but that does need to be over a LOT of time and often with very heavy compression! So yes, there's some truth to it, but only under specific circumstances. Even in a year of daily binding you're unlikely to 'disfigure' your chest as long as you bind safely and not too tight. I worried the same things you did when I first started binding 6 or so years ago at college, but so far I've seen no difference in my breast shape.

My binder recommendation would be gc2b (the tank top style binders - I've had issues with sizing with the short ones)! I've owned a lot of brands over the years, a few different Underworks, T-Kingdom, etc, but gc2b has been the most comfortable and effective I've ever owned. The material is a stretchy lycra-type fabric everywhere but the front binding panel, which makes it a lot easier to breathe in and nowhere near as hot to wear as Underworks binders have proven to be for me!

Also they're easier to put on and take off. :slight_smile:

If you have any other binding questions (or gender questions in general), feel free to let me know! I'm always happy to give advice or share my experiences.

5. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the replies!

Went to the city centre to look for new sports bras today and I ended up feeling like I wanted to cry. Seriously, I tried about 8 of them and none of them worked. They were all really weird, didn't flatten that much, and kind of gave me a cleavage, which is unacceptable. I gave up on looking for sports bras and went into some stores looking for clothes. I'm really in need of clothes but it's always really difficult for me to find something I like and that fits me. Not sure why but I'm very sensitive about it so when I went into the store and started to look for clothes I got really depressed. All of the women's clothes were too feminine and I don't fit into the clothes from the men's section because of my stupid breasts. Really just wanted to cry. Now I feel like I want to get drunk or eat my weight in candy but I can't do that because I'm trying to eat better. I'm trying to eat better and exercise more to lose weight so that my breasts might get smaller and so that the doctors won't tell me my BMI is too high to get a breast reduction. Ugh.

Sorry. Rant over.

Anyway. Binders. Oddsocks, doesn't a tank top style binder get really warm during the summer? Also, I'm really worried about buying a binder only to realise it doesn't fit. Is it possible to return binders that don't fit?

What kind of alteration are we talking about? Will it make them more "saggy"?

I've heard binders are really difficult to put on and take off. That worries me as well. What if I get stuck or something? Ha.

What kind of bandages are you using? Anyway, I really hope you'll be able to get a binder soon. Is there anyone you know who could order it for you?

I'd like my chest to look significantly flatter (not sure how flat though) but maybe that's not possible with D-sized breasts? :frowning2:

#5 Chinaski, Apr 9, 2016
  6. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry Chinaski, I don't think I worded it very well. What I meant is that the shape of my chest has only become a bit flatter without the binder, like in terms of being disfigured, it is only slightly disfigured after a year of binding. With the underworks binder I wear, I get my chest almost completely flat.
    hope that makes sense to you

Also, if you go on the underworks website they tell you how to measure so you get the right size. I am a xsmall to small if that helps

#6 jaska, Apr 9, 2016
  7. Chinaski

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. :slight_smile:

8. Careboobear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be good to purchase a professional binder just incase. For sports bras, some suggest wearing two with one of them backwards. But please don't use bandages because they can cause chest problems if they're too tight.

9. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really wouldn't suggest binding with any kind of bandages, I know it can seem like a good option especially when proper binders aren't available at that exact moment in time but it can cause permanent damage and has even been known to break ribs.

I've used GC2B and Underworks binders and can vouch for both of them getting me completely flat but I have a smaller chest. I've heard extremely good things about GC2B getting guys with chests your size extremely flat (moreso than any underworks binder that they've used before). So in your case I'd try to order from GC2B. To lessen your anxiety about the return policy, I've had to return a binder to GC2B because it was too small and all I had to do was pay the postage back to them and write a note explaining what was wrong with it, as long as it's not massively damaged they'll give you an exchange and ship the new one over. Yeah they're pretty difficult to get on but if you follow the size guides on the website then it shouldn't be impossible at all and you get used to it. You jut have to find a technique that works, I've found that putting your arms through first, then your head and then firmly pulling the bottom down does the trick pretty well.

Also, I can relate to feeling awful shopping in mens when you have a chest. I felt exactly the same and I hated clothes shopping with a passion and refused to go. Binding helps immensely with that when you can see clothes fitting the way they should. I hope you find one that works for you!

#9 Aberrance, Apr 9, 2016
  10. MLKLH

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey :slight_smile: I'm Genderfluid, so sometimes bind and/or pack depending on how I feel day to day. I do have an Underworks binder and it's OK to wear but I do find that it can cause bruising (my skin is really sensitive anyway!). The best advice I can give you is to invest in some good sports bras - Nike ones are really good! - as if they're compression bras they'll compress you enough anyway most of the time. Of course if you want to use a traditional binder then go for it - just be careful to order in the correct size and I'd recommend Underworks binders, they're really good at compressing but as I said, use common sense and look after yourself. Sports bras can do just as well as binders if you get the right ones, in my experience. And also just for the record, I have a tiny body and quite a big chest (34-36inches) and sports bras work enough for me if I layer a couple of T-shirts and are safer than binders, although binders are safe too if you wear them correctly and for no longer than 4-6 hours in a day. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

#10 MLKLH, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016