1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counselor

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by demigodjay, Apr 12, 2016.

1. demigodjay

I just went to my initial consultation with a counselor for my gender dysphoria, it was awesome. I think I'm going to benefit a lot from this, and also hopefully be able to talk about it at some point. Also -- hormone blockers?
    One problem though. Since I was unable to say it myself about my gender identity, my mom said it for me. She said that I told her I have "gender dysmorphia, in those exact words". Dysmorphia and dysphoria are two completely different things. Now I think the counselor might have taken it the wrong way.

2. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, until a couple of years ago dysmorphia was the term trans people used! Dysphoria arose out of that to let trans experiences be more distinct from mental illnesses, but plenty of people still use dysmorphia to describe their feelings towards their body. I don't think that should cause a problem, but also don't be afraid to clarify at your next meeting!

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it comes up, let the counselor know what you actually said the next time you meet. My mother mixes up dysphoria and dysmorphia all the time. I don't think the counselor will have trouble believing that your mother mixed up two very similar words.