1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of regret.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by 8pointhunter3, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 8pointhunter3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok so a while ago I made a post saying I was genderfluid but have since learned more and realized I'm transgender. My question is; is anyone else scared sometimes that they will regret transitioning? Like scared they're just making a mistake or something?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a very common fear for most transgender people who are contemplating transitioning of any sort.

I know I still have that fear and I'm 95% sure that I'll be transitioning with in the next two years.

3. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still had that fear when I started transitioning!! Most people do. But somewhere along the way you'll find your groove and where you're comfortable and then it'll be alright

4. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really had that fear. After all, the one thing I was certain of was that I wasn't happy living in the body I had. Worst thing that could happen from transition is that I wouldn't be happy living in the body I got. Ie, I would feel the exact same!

I couldn't imagine a situation in which the dysphoria could possibly become worse. Either it was going to get better or it was going to remain at the status quo.

Plus, since people transition both ways, detransition always seemed like a viable option if necessary! No matter how far I transition, I'm never going to be in a position where it's more difficult to transition back to female than a trans woman just beginning physical transition... and plenty of them enjoy incredibly successful transitions!

5. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Completely understandable, expected, and par for the course. The thought of transition can be such a double-edged sword. I want it so bad - like fucking now already! - but I'm afraid of all the second- and third-order effects along with the bullshit self-doubt that has been inculcated in all of us trans* folk since we could just walk. Scary shit.

But, personally speaking, I refuse to be ruled by fear, shame and guilt anymore. Nope, nada, not gonna happen. I am Emma, hear me roar. And if you're not emotionally here yet, you can be. Just give it some time, mixed with equal parts righteous indignation, and honey, you will be. :wink:

#5 MsEmma, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016