1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't handle periods...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am on the pill but I still get periods and I started bleeding today. I always forget how horrible it is, I feel really sick (like tired, headaches, nausea) and just depressed and frustrated. I'm pretty sure that I get suicidal thoughts every period because I feel super aware of my body and everyone misgendering me. I don't want to bind or anything though because I think that then I'd be more focused on those parts. How am I supposed to deal with this? I can't really talk to anyone IRL about it and I'd prefer not to talk to my mom about it at all because I feel like she makes a big deal out of it, maybe that's just my dysphoria-crazed imagination though. Is there anything I can do to feel better? :help:

2. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I usually exercise heaps. Although I don't usually get that much dysphoria for it, I do get pain and that helps to ease it and in general it's distracting. With the pill, I'm pretty sure you only stop getting a period if you skip the placebos. Talk to your gp about it though because I'm not sure how long you can skip the placebos continuously. Some people who suffer heavy periods or painful ones do that too.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh hang in there. For nausea - eat something sour, like ornage, lemon... It always helps me. Or I go to sleep and try to sleep it though. Swallow painkillers, go excersice anyway, eat something you like, do something you want, try to ignore the pain...

4. thepandaboss

I'm gonna admit something I don't usually like to admit but I actually swear by menstrual cups. Hear me out. They're not for everyone (especially guys who get really, really bottom dysphoric just touching their front entrance) but I think for a lot of guys and non-binary peeps, they're a pretty decent trade-off.

What I like about mine is that it's very much an out of sight, out of mind kind of thing. I don't have to see any blood until I take it out (making wearing boxers a much more pleasant experience), I can still use a urinal, and it avoids the issue of having to buy pads and tampons, which the experience of buying actually makes into something very, very dysphoria inducing.

Just be willing to boil it to sanitize it.

But you're not the only trans guy who hates them and you won't be the last. Despite what I just said, I'm actually on mine right now and I got so dysphoric, I nearly threw up.

I think the fact you're on bc is a really good start. If you weren't already, I'd definitely recommend it. I don't think it's a great idea to skip your placebos but I could be wrong- I used to be on bc too.

I was never the guy who had cramps bad enough to put me out of commission but ibuprofen's always a good bet for relieving inflammation, which is part of the game when you're swimming with the sharks. Exercise is good and don't be afraid to resort to a heating pad. It's the same as any other cramp. If it helps, think of it as a stomach cramp from doing crunches and sit-ups.

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much everyone, this advice really helped :slight_smile: