1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear piercing and earring choice for a professional still presenting as a man at work?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MsEmma, Apr 16, 2016.

1. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fellow denizens of the magical Island of Misfit Toys,
    I'm seriously considering piercing my ears soon - next few weeks-ish - and wanted input on how, as an almost 40yo transwoman should go about that? Damn, this feels like puberty.

Question #1: Where? Go to Claire's/similar mall kiosk? A piercing parlor? I've heard the guns can do damage to earlobes, but parlor so are much more expensive.

Question #2: I know you have to get the hypoallergenic ones to start, but what earrings do you suggest for a criminal defense lawyer who wears a dude-suit on a regular basis?

Question #3: Get both done at the same time or do one and come back a couple of weeks later and do the other one/ (I'm heavily leaning towards one-stop-shopping)

Thanks in advance!
    (*hug*), Emma

#1 MsEmma, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Re: Ear piercing and earring choice for a professional still presenting as a man at w

Ohh, getting ears pierced is really easy :slight_smile: We're not in the same country so where I am I know you can get it done at the pharmacy, beauticians, and piercing/tattoo parlours too but I think they're all pretty much the same. I've never heard of guns doing damage to earlobes... and it honestly really doesn't hurt that much at all. I've gotten six in my ears at different times and it's nothing. If you pinch your ear as hard as you can with your nail, it probably hurts just as much or less and for a shorter time. Definitely get both sides done at once :slight_smile: But if you wanna see what it looks like with just one side for aesthetic reasons, go for it.

Uhh, there are heaps of plain studs you can get which are really gender neutral. Like these Simple Design Unisex Vogue Surgical Steel Cartilage Tongue EAR Stud Earring | eBay (AU site). You can sleep with them in too and just leave them in 24/7 because they have a flat back so they don't poke into your neck.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Ear piercing and earring choice for a professional still presenting as a man at w

1. I went to Claire's and my ears have been fine 7 years later. I didn't wear them for about a year and they still worked. I have heard stories about people's earlobes being damaged, but that's only if they get caught in something [such as your hair] and it's not dealt with properly.

2. I'd suggest maybe small gold or silver stud ones.

3. I'd get them both at the same time so the six-week period of leaving them in your ears finishes together. If you're presenting as male, getting only one done is seen as a male thing, but if you're going to go back a couple weeks later anyway, getting both done will have any questions over and done with sooner.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

A gun works fine, unless the person accidentally hits you too high up and catches cartilage you'll be fine (I've had 3 gun, 2 needle). Definitely get them done at the same time, it doesn't hurt that much and will probably be cheaper that way. Any small stud or ring even will be fine I think. It's not uncommon for anyone anymore, so no one should question it.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

1. Go to a piercer. A professional one. Had trouble with my ears for years because they were shot. It also smelled very bad...

2. I'd take rings, they're also common in men.

3. Better one at a time, also minimizes risk

6. randomconnorcon

I'm in a different country and I was six when I got my ears pierced, so this might not be completely helpful, but I'll tell you what I remember.

1, I went to a stall in an indoor market place. They were professional and used a gun (I remember, because I thought it would hurt, but I didn't feel a thing).

2, I went for studs. They were small, easily concealable (though I got in a bit of trouble with my school and had to cover them with plasters while they healed). I've heard if you don't wear them for long periods of time, the holes close up, but I've gone years without wearing any kind of earrings and I still have the same holes from when I was six (which is about sixteen and a half years now).

3, I got both done at the same time. It was cheaper, I think, and literally about five minutes in and out, because all I had to do was sit there while they made sure my ear lobes and the studs were clean and then used the gun.

No one should question you getting your ears pierced. It was 1999 when I got mine done and I don't think I ever saw other boys my age get their ears pierced, and I think if I'd been biologically a boy my small town might have taken notice. But things are different now.

#6 randomconnorcon, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  7. Irisviel

Just say you are a big fan of Harrison Ford :grin: (and I think this kind of a piercing is a good recommendation, in all seriousness).

[​IMG]

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Iriesviel: Precicely what I meant, those look great.