1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ZeroDarkness, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I have posted here a few times expressing my worries/concerns with the whole transitioning process. I'm 23 (bio male) and hope to start the transitioning process too. I still have worries (mainly with money/family right now), but I have been browsing the mtf timelines on reddit and it's been super encouraging overall. I see people changing so much with just HRT and it's beautiful how you see more smiles the further into the timeline you get.

I know for a fact that I want to be happy, and this is a step I need to take. If it turns out that I see a therapist and they recommend I don't go through with it, then that answers that (although I'm 90% sure that I will end up going through with it all). I was just hoping to find some advice/tips if anyone has any. I know I need to see someone first and foremost, but I was wondering if anyone had a timeline or steps or anything for it all (like when I should be doing what).

I also plan on living fully as a guy until probably a year or so in (with the occasional living as a girl in private) mainly to keep my extended family happy and to prevent confusion at work. When I deem myself passable, I will likely move to another state (or possibly country) and live full time as a female there. I just don't know where to begin or how to really start the whole thing. I also will need electrolysis I'm sure, and I didn't know if there were any things people did to improve their results on HRT (probably a far shot but who knows).

As a side question, how does changing your name/gender work? Do you need to have had bottom surgery first or do you apply for it through your therapist? Oh, and how much should I be saving up for all of this? Would be helpful to know a general idea of how much a therapist and HRT costs. I don't have much money to spend, so it will probably be pretty tight for a while. Anyway thanks!

2. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on where you live, you can basically just change your name whenever. I'm not sure about the laws in Florida, but here in Cali all that's needed to change your name is about 100$ and some paperwork from a local court. People change their names all the time, not just trans people. Gender marker works about the same, I think it's just a little section on the name change paperwork. There's no surgeries or anything needed, just a bit of money and the ability to get to a court.