1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding whIle working out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatOneAlien, Apr 18, 2016.

1. ThatOneAlien

I'd like to start going to the gym but I can't seem to figure this out. I know you're not supposed to wear a binder while exercising but then how do trans guys go about this?

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done intensive running whilst binding but not working out. My binder already makes it pretty difficult for me to breathe regularly so running is practically hell, sometimes I get black spots in my vision but haven't passed out yet (touch wood). If you can deal with it I'd really suggest wearing a sports bra or even buying a binder the next size up to work out in, just so there's less compression and it's not so restricting on your breathing. If you're going to be lifting then you don't want to be feeling faint when you're holding weights, that's only going to end in injury so I'd be extremely careful and make sure you keep checking on yourself. Drink lots of water too.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sports bra. You can but a black one and look like a total badass :wink:

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay you should absolutely not bind while doing exercise (Isaac I know this thread isn't about you but what you're doing sounds really dangerous and I'd really recommend stopping or seeing if there's an alternative).

I have a fairly small chest, so I wear a sports bra and a loose top and go to the gym and it's alright. If your chest is bigger, I know a lot of guys who just work out at home with a set of dumbbells and a lot of bodyweight exercises.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wearing a binder a size up or one sports bra (not binding with sports bras) and two shirts might work. I've also heard that black binders and gc2b binders are a bit stretchier than white ones from underworls, so if you have a snug but not overly restrictive white one from Underworks, purchasing one of those might relieve enough pressure so you can workout in one, but it really depends on how strenous it is.

I'd also like to second that you shouldn't work out in a binder. Mine isn't very tight, and I have no breathing trouble in it, so I've worked out in it amd worn it for 12+ hours daily. I now have constant back pain. Even if it doesn't hurt, be cautious.

6. ThatOneAlien

Thanks guys. Yeah my binder isn't that tight either and it's still been causing me some rib issues lately so I definitely wouldn't be doing that. I do have a couple sports bras which I wear whenever I'm not binding but they don't do a whole lot, maybe I can try and find one with higher compression. Two shirts may be a good idea also.

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, basically, I see that a lot of guys bind, but I get a lot of pain with this, really. I can't handle even a compression sports bra for too long, I don't bother trying an actual binder, it's obviously going to compress even more. I usually go for like, just layering, a scarf, men's or androgynous shaped clothing, black tees, stuff like that. While working out, you obviously need to breathe, so... Anyways... A compression sports bra plus a looser shirt and hoodie should do somewhat fine, even if not ideal. Loose clothing when working out does not cause any suspicion at all.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've found that wearing a good sports bra while working out or doing strenuous labor has helped. I work in television sports production, so sometimes I am running up and down the field or court with players while holding a camera. This was impossible to do in a binder, because it resulted in a lot of pain. So, I bought an underworks sports bra and it really has done the trick for me.

If you are having any pain or black spots in your vision, that is dangerous very dangerous, and you really should stop doing that before you cause permanent damage.