1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They said my name.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was purely coincidental. The family and I were dining out, and my brothers ages 15 and 22 were chatting.

They somehow got to the topic of names and the older one said "Alex. Alex [last name] is such a cool name. Don't you think?"

I mumbled agreement as he continued about how that would beat all the other names. There was quiet for a second.

"Alec," my younger brother chimed in.

I froze.

"Alec [last name] is better," he stated plainly.

I stuffly diverted the conversation but remained oddly pleased for the rest of the day. Because somehow, in chance conversation, my brothers had arrived at my very name. I got to hear them say it, and they have no idea to the impact.

Sure they didn't have a clue, because they don't know I'm trans, but to hear my name verbalized by a family member is something meaningful to me. It is only the second time I've heard one of them say it.

Anyway, I just thought that was worth sharing. It gave me a bit of hope that one day, in the far future, I may get to hear them call me by name again. By my real name.

2. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah that's sounds pretty intense. But I'm happy for you, there's always something that gives hope that the future will be better :slight_smile:

3. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow what a cool coincidence. It's always cool to get positive comments on your name, but it being from your actual family when they don't even know must've been such a trip! That's awesome though, no one can deny your name is good!

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Cool, that's great. :slight_smile: <3