1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hair tips

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i'm trying to style my hair and I just can't seem to get it right.
    I should probably say this is my first time ever trying to style my hair because I just never cared till now.
    I also HATE HATE HATE hair spray and will refuse to use it.
    What I do have to use are these cheaply acquired products: Axe pomade: messy look, some sort of styling fiber made by Equate, and this cheap junk (extreme sports one.

Trying to achieve the look in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on your hair type, some hair just won't hold in a position like that, usually if it's really thin. I'd suggest matt clay because it's not especially sticky and it doesn't make your hair crispy and leaves it with a matt finish but with hair its accase of trying out different products and seeing what works for you.

Putting product in it once you come out the shower and then blow drying it backwards might be an idea you want to try? Hair spray is a decent product for keeping hair in place so getting around having to use it may be even harder.

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Ryan, maybe you could try youtube, there are many videos on men's hair styling.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said, hair spray is something I'm not willing to use.

My hair isn't thin. Its thick and really straight.

YouTube did help me get a basic idea of what to do.

5. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NOT a hairstylist, but I'll give it a shot anyways. From my own experiences when I had short hair, I alway used the Axe pomade (I think it was called clean look?) It's the one in the purple can. First off, you obviously are going to have to grow your hair out long on top and around the crown. Once you have achieved the desired length, as soon as you get out of the shower, towel dry your hair. Then go on to the rest of your routine. After you are dressed, put a (I think the technical mathematical term is) glob of the Axe on your finger tips. Then, rub them together to turn the gel-like substance into more of a liquid substance (Hint: it will never turn entirely into liquid). Really work it onto the entire length of your hands, and very important, in between your fingers (they will act as your comb). Then, work the product into your hair. Wash remaining product off of your hands and dry your hands. Then towel dry your hair again. And style as you wish. If you want a "dryer" look than that. Use a hair dryer on low for a bit.

I can't stress it enough that I am NOT a professional at all. But I do have thick hair, and I used to have short hair and used some of those products. Good luck!! I hope it works for you!!! If it does, WE WANT PICTURES!! If it doesn't, *using jedi mind trick wave* you never saw this post. LOL!!

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll take pictures so long as you guys don't mind a messy bathroom in the background

I haven't tried your way yet, probably will tomorrow.
    What I did last night was towel dry my hair, went about getting dress and brushing teeth, then I used a hair dryer to dry it more before applying. I did use a glob (read that bit on the can xD) Then had to use a bit more because some parts of my hair bow to gravity before all else.
    Last November or October I buzzed all my hair off. Since then I haven't touched the hair at the top of my hair and around crown, though the back and sides are buzzed. it all pretty much the length in the picture I put up.

7. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you could wear a beanie to hold it back for a while, but one that's not really tight on the top of your head. And then keep brushing your hair back into the position likes in the photo. You'd want a type of gel or hair putty won't make it look messy, you'd want one that would make it still look soft but holds well enough.
    You could even hold it back with a pin on the top to make it stay up.

#7 jaska, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I'm using Wella sculpt force and can recommend it. I use it for my Sid Vicious hairstyle and I can even sleep and the next day it still looks like it should.

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If its cheap enough I can try, but broke for now

10. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    The pomade will work. Mousse also works well, I like tresemme' climate protection, very versatile and holds all day in Florida humidity. If you have curly hair you will have at straighten unless you're OK with more texture than your picture. chemical straighteners are pure evil for hair, a flat iron isn't much better...I avoid them, but as needs must.

The lazy way/gist of how to achieve that look is you apply product to slightly damp hair, brush it back and tease it with your fingers or a 'fro pick/rat tail until your happy. You can blow-dry on low to dry near the roots and add more product towards the ends to add body, is probably what they did in that picture.