1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The VA and transgender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by What If, Apr 20, 2016.

1. What If

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have VA health care. Yesterday I made an appointment to talk to my doctor about talking to a therapist and hormone treatment. I am very excited but nervous. There is not a lot of information about what the VA will do for transgender vets and how easy or hard it is to talk to therapist and get hormones. Has anyone ever interacted with the VA about trans therapy and if so how did it go?

2. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm using the VA for MtF treatment. Basically, in a nutshell, the VA will cover hormones and all non-surgical/non-cosmetic treatment. You may be able to get top surgery though - some transmen have been successful, but your mileage may vary.

My therapists and GP have been great, btw.

Check out these sites:

Know Your Rights - Transgender American Veterans Association

http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2863

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Veteran Care - Patient Care Services

#2 MsEmma, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. What If

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I was a little worried about getting a doc or therapist that wouldn't be willing to do hormone therapy. Or just having any problems with the VA at all.