1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My recent trip and gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nike007, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. So I recently got back from a trip to Europe from Canada. It was good overall, but I did have some gender things. Everyone knows me as a female, which I am okay with, but it's hard to explain. But anyways, a few people in Europe labelled me male. Like I had to go to the men's bathroom. I was upset about it. Even though I feel more masculine, I don't want people to see me as a male. I don't want people to see me as a female either, but I am more okay with it. Anyways, but it makes me so confused. Like, I like feeling male, but I don't want people to see me this way. I really don't know how to describe it. Maybe this is because I'm not a binary gender and my mind is trying to put me in one. I don't know... Anyways, it has made me doubt my gender a bit. I am really confused.

2. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way! Like, I'm taking testosterone and identify as masculine, but being seen as male (even though it's never actually happened to me) makes me really uncomfortable.

I've kind of attributed it to being unable to really deal with the consequences of suddenly being seen as a completely different person by other people. I'm familiar with people thinking I'm female, I know the proper reactions and how to act and how people will treat me. Being seen as male is an entirely new territory that I'm not set up to know how to act. It's a weird form of culture shock. Also as a nonbinary person, having to be gendered at all is odd, and at least being gendered female is familiar. Being gendered male.. is... not.

I don't know if any of that resonates with you, but I sort of just wanted to point out that you're not alone and that this isn't an uncommon way to feel. It doesn't invalidate you at all.