1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on changing legal documents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MtnCase, Apr 21, 2016.

1. MtnCase

So I'm FTM and will soon be starting Testosterone (yay!) and I'm looking into changing my name on legal documents. I'd like to eventually have the gender marker changed too but right now not having my name changed gives me so much dysphoria that I just want to get this in motion. My question isn't really a concise single question but a ball of confusion but I'll give it my best shot.... Does it matter what order I change my documents- social security card, birth certificate, driver's license? Does it help to have one specifically to get another easier? If I'm moving around a lot- like I tend to take seasonal jobs in different states every 6-10 months- do I need to get a driver's license from the state I'm currently living? I'm just worried that I wouldn't qualify for residency if I haven't been here long enough or that paperwork processes might not finish before I have to move again.

Does anyone have any advice? I live in a pretty rural western state that doesn't have a lot of accessible LGBT support services :frowning2:

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This will depend largely on where you are.

Some places require that you have proof of some kind of gender reaffirming surgery to get your marker on your birth certificate changed (for example), and some only require a written letter from your doctor.

As far as driver's license goes, that's something you'll have to consult your local DMV about. If you're only stating in a place for a short time and not up and moving there permanently, I don't think you'd need to get a new state ID and you could keep what you have. But again, definitely look into that.

Here in my state, to get your gender marker changed on your state ID or driver's license, you only need your doctor/therapist to sign a specific form and you're fine. With birth certificates, you need some kind of proof of surgery. I'm holding off on getting my marker on my social security changed until I'm post op, just in case I get stiffed by my insurance if I need a hysto or anything like that.

So personally, I'd say it really just depends on where you are. I'll include a link you can check out from the transequality website on info like that. If you're in a rural area or place where there aren't many resources, consider going to a major city that's accessible. PFLAG generally has a detailed list of all the chapters in your state, and could be of use to you.

ID Documents Center | National Center for Transgender Equality