1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most surprising thing about being trans for me.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Delta, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Delta

Sometimes I can’t believe that this is my life. I’m transgender, I am. Not only that, but I’m non binary. And the thing that surprises me most is that I am so -happy- about it.

Growing up, what I heard about trans people is that life for them is hard, and lonely, and miserable, and that we should feel sympathy and pity for them because they face constant rejection in all facets of their life. What I heard about nonbinary people can be summarized in one quote: “_________________.”

And what I’ve learned in this few months of starting to come out as trans and nonbinary is this: It’s not like I was told growing up, it isn’t. Not for me, at least. My girlfriend didn’t leave me when she found out. She likes it this way, actually. My family didn’t kick me out or abandon me. They’re actually trying their best for me, they still love me a lot. I really think my friends like me too.

I just can’t believe how lucky I am. I can’t believe I’m… allowed to have this, and still have my life… If I’d have known that being trans wouldn’t ruin my life, I might have come out years ago.

2. Moogle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay, go Delta! So glad to hear your having a really positive coming out. I think it's really good and important to hear from people who are having a blast coming out too :slight_smile:

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm happy for you. (*hug*)

Yeah what you heard about transgender life is pretty much my experience so its really subjectively determined. I remember reading a pamphlet for parents that said that family rejection pretty much drastically reeuced the chance for a happy and fulfilling life for trans people increasing attempted suicide by around 30%. So yes, if your family did accept you than you should be extremely grateful that they did and appreciate the gift they gave you because when they don't accept it truly is horrible.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if I will ever come out to my family, but I'm also positively surprised. I think the most miserable part is when you still don't know and don't take any steps to be yourself. I didn't come out like... "You know, people, I'm trans!"... but I'm not pretending someone I'm not any more and it brought many great things. I wouldn't have met my boyfriend if I didn't stop pretending. He's cool with me being trans and I think he even is into it. Same with friends. It's very nice to find people who like me for me. I was also told that trans people just know and understand since they can talk - and I did not.

I have been having a difficut time recently - exactly because I tasted feeling so much alive for the first time, and feel grief that I couldn't have it for so many years. Not that life was all miserable - it was fun, but now it's like... a whole new dimension. I may pass horribly, not pass at all, (mmm, seriously, I look like a tomboyish rocker chick, nobody ever called me sir :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) but I'm free to be myself, the chains of wrong perception that were inside my head - vanished, and I feel a sense of great relief, a huge strain is removed and I changed so much, I have so much more energy and became a so much more sociable person.