1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you tackle being misgendered?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MatH, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    An obvious problem for a lot of people is probably that other people don't know that you're trans and thus calls you he when you're a girl or she when you're actually a boy, right, but what if it's the opposite way?

I'm biologically female, but because I have short hair and wear baggy pants and collared shirts, people often call me a guy, and I'm quite fine with that, but when there's public toilets or changing rooms, I just can't go into the men's, so I go into the ladies' and that's when someone tells me "I'm sorry, but this is the ladies' room, the men's are over there (pointing)". And I'm like, well, er...

What do you do when this happens?

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just state "urm, I'm a girl". I see you're nb but it may be easier to state girl if you're comfortable with that. If you have a pretty feminine voice then they'll quickly correct themsleves and even if you don't, you saying that will make them feel apologetic anyway.

3. HerrinDesFeuers

Someone told me that one of his friends who has the same problem one time just pulled her shirt up to show her breasts...
    Although it was quite effective I'm not sure if that's the best way to deal with it. :grin:

4. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, this obviously. It just feels so awkward :confused: ...but on the other hand:

...that's also a way :wink: . I guess whatever I do it won't beat that.

5. Delta

It's hard to misgender me, mostly I find it amusing. But there are times when it's on purpose that it does really hurt. When those times happen, I kind of clam up and get kind of depressed. I'm going to work on actually standing up for myself and correcting people.

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just have to bear it and try not to blow up. :dry: The only people who know me as openly trans is my mother (who won't stop calling me by my hated birth name/wrong pronouns) and my siblings, who I think just forget.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm the strange one. I don't care if I'm misgendered or not. Sometimes I can feel awkward, but I don't actually have the courage to enforce me pronouns.

8. salad

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't get offended very well and just correct my friends kindly. No one else knows that I'm genderfluid though so I only remind them.

9. What If

Out Status:
    A few people
    This happens to me on a daily basis in any public setting. I have been told politely, yelled at, had security called on me a couple times, and once had a lady physically try to push me out of a bathroom. I get "sir" quite often. One time at airport security I went though the scanner and they were "concerned" about a wire on my body which was my bra wire. I would say 90% of the time though as soon as I start talking they realize Im a girl and apologize. Them realizing though just makes me feel worse. I feel very embarrassed These daily situations is where a majority of my dysphoria comes from. But when I go into a restroom now as soon as I see someone I smile and say hello. Most women realize then and say nothing to me. Or sometimes (like at airport security) I will hold one arm under my boobs so they stand out a little more and I dont usually have any trouble. I hate doing it but in certain situations its easier.

10. Moogle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happened to me all the time when I first came out, but after 2 years on HRT I hardly get ever get misgendered. Just wanted to add that saying nothing and getting safely away, is just as valid as speaking up and correcting. In my experience, some people get hostile when corrected, so always get a read of the situation and put your safety first. Big hugs everyone X